1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

has the electronics forum died

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jakenbake, 11 Aug 2007.

?

Has the electronics forum died?

1. Yes, and I'm sad.

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. No, there are the same number of posts as before.

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

guys, vote: has the electronics forum died?

2. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

Nope just part of modding forum now. but this new way of arranging categories is so f****** confusing. The old way filled way more, but atleast there was a system that was easy to use.

3. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

i know its still in here, i'm just saying it has died b/c of the merge. its more of an opinion...

4. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

I've almost stopped reading the forums completely since the switch. I HATE the new layout. Makes it soo much more complicated to find even the simplest thing. I used to visit every day (and read about 90% of the new posts), but now I hate the layout so I only visit about once every other week and I only stay for about 15 minutes.

Still a lot of really good information here, but this layout/scheme/whatever must go.

5. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Yeah got to agree this new layout really blows. Loved the old one, Bring it back! Please!

6. useru_clairvoyant

useru_clairvoyant What's a Dremel?

Same here. Sorry fellas, but the new layout is confusing and makes the content hard to parse.

7. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

Maybe someone should ask one of the admins to make a poll about the design and put it as a front page news so everybody knows there there is a poll about the layout.
    Personal opinion. Bigger mess then my computer closet (and then it´s really bad)

8. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

i think it would be nice to have electronics separated from Modding, but thats my personal opinion.

9. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

It should be like it was before (spoken with the voice of an old geezer) ;)

10. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I also liked it the way it was before, alot of the forums seem to be doing very well with the new format but after a brief spate just after the change when old electronics threads got finished up all the electronics stuff has died, its a shame because there used to be quite a few people who would jump in and offer advice or discuss things.

Moriquendi

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Use. The. Tags.

It's not confusing, you lot are just lazy :p

[​IMG]

We've just checked and there has been a drop for the electronics forum, but it was long before the forum change. In 2005 it was doing 100+ threads a month, but in the last two years it's dropped right off and hasn't still picked up. Imo it's because people aren't modding like they used to: there are no solder yourself VFDs/LCDs to do now, or it's not really that popular. The whole modding scene has changed fundamentally. The other forums are doing well and we are constantly re-evaluating it and will take it into account. However, for the 50 millionth time we are NOT changing it back to "the old style" ;)

You lot are probably just sore because now you have to share the chairs and biscuits with the modding crowd who get grease and paint on everything. I bet you've read more modding threads that you wouldn't have known existed otherwise. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Aug 2007
  12. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

ya, but thats not the problem, nor is that what anyone is talking about. there are hardly any threads with those tags anymore, and if they do they get buried.

i'd like to see the numbers from when bit-tech started till 2005, from 2005 till the new forums, then from new forums till now. if you get the time, post em please!

very few people, in this thread at least, are asking you to change it back to the old format. i think we would just like to see electronics in its own forum is all. just something to think about.

13. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I'd prefer the electronics forum to be separated, but since the change I don't spend very long on here because it's such a hassle. I've found some other forums for electronics which don't mix their topics ;)

The clock thread is the only one I look out for now :)

14. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Oh, really where wouldn't mind checking that out.

And tis a terrible shame to loose out on the sheer genius that is SteveyG because of some modding posts!

15. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I spend more time on dutchforce, linear1 and the microchip forums now. Don't worry, I still check this forum when I can ;) so there'll be replies to proper electronics questions :)

16. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

sweet! checking out those forums now (i knew about microchip). are they as well-visited, i.e. it doesn't take 4 days to get a reply?

17. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

dutchforce and microchip are very well visited. There's only a few active members on linear1 forums, but lots of knowledge for anything LED based and you still get replies within a day :).

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I really don't understand how it's a hassle to click one thing to filter by tags and have your whole forum back again. There's simply not enough traffic to justify a separate electronics forum and it would defeat the whole point of using the tags.

Bit start to 05 = growth for bit in general, plus we didn't have an electronics forum. 2005-new forums = decline, new forums to now (just 6 weeks) = status quo.

Seems like we've just lost anyone who would ever care about the leccy forum anyway :(

19. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

You get electronics questions under n00b, help, request etc. too, but those are also mixed in with modding questions, which means you have to trawl through those in addition to the ones under the electronics tag. If everyone who had an electronics question posted under electronics then it wouldn't be so bad :)

20. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Isn't that kind of mutually exclusive goals, on one hand encourage people to use tags to only see the topics they want and then say "look you'll see lots of other threads as well" which they wont as they will be using tags?