1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding rounded cables = better looking case? no

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bloodcar, 1 Sep 2002.

1. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

over the past year or so as more and more people either round their cables or buy rounded cables, i have noticed something about the pictures that have been posted. people do rounded cables for two reasons: increased airflow and to just make the inside of their case look spiffy. but in order to make the inside of your case look nice, you actually have to organize you cables!!!! don't just leave them be where they fall.

i'll give you an example:
    http://www.blagged-hardware.net/content/articles/cable_mod.html

on page four of the article, you see a before and after picture of his cable mod. now not to say badly of the guy, i think he did a good job on his cable, but quite frankly, the inside still looks pretty nasty. albiet, not as nasty as before, but it's still pretty messy. i've seen a cleaner inside of a case on my mother's dell optiplex!

i'm not singling this person out for any reason, it's just the one article/picture that i saw that finally made me decide to write something about it. sure, people bitch about enermax PSUs have an extremem amount of excess cable length, but you know what, use that extra length for routing your cables!!!!

i have seen people who have put hundreds of hours into modifying their case only for the inside to look as if someone puked their intestines out.

2. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Many people DO route their cables, but some actually like the look of the rounded cables. Each to his own, as they say :D

3. n0fear

n0fear What's a Dremel?

personal preference i guess.

4. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

did he just dis coolhands case? :lol:

5. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

that's true, to each their own, but having a jumbled mess of rounded cables in your case, i do believe, would impede the airflow just as mush as before, plus the air would be directed to places other then desired. :sigh:

6. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

no, i think he did a great job with his case and everything, i just think it would have looked alot better if he would have routed the cables some :D

7. n0fear

n0fear What's a Dremel?

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

sometimes ppl like their cables to be seen, for example in my case (also happens to be on blagged-hardware) has uv reactive cable wrap on all cables so it stands out....

I suppose its a matter of personal preference though :)

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

the article can be found here

9. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

It's very easy to say 'Oh he should route his cable' but in reality, it's not worth the effort. The change in airflow would be negligible in all but the most extreme circumstances.
    And then looks wise, well the simple fact of the matter is I think Cool did really well considering the amount of cabling he's got goin on there. You seem to miss that he's also got his LCD control panel mod + other stuff in there.

10. Galvatron

Galvatron What's a Dremel?

i cba flamin this n00b

d.xxx

11. Galvatron

Watch your step.:miffed:
    Comments like that are unaccepable.:eyebrow:
    Everyone is entitled to have their opinion and not be subject to being diss'd for it.

Edited by mm

12. Galvatron

deleted by mm

13. Cool Hand

Cool Hand King of the park

you know, i think he just did....i detect a hint of jealousy though...

ok man, there is no need of saying things like that...thats just nasty...

everybody has different views, and i respect that, but you seem to be comeing down a bit hard on my wireing job....i hate to tell you this, but 99.9 percent of the people here would not have your strong opinion....i thought the cables were quite neat, coming together at central point....the whole idea was to show the cables, not hide them....if i wanted to hide them, why would i spend all that time sleeving them with 1/2" sleeve.....to make them invisable?

also, half the point of the article was to show you could do something like sleeving your cables using materials you might never think of..and do it for next to nothing cost wise..

did you even read the whole article, or did you just look at the pretty pictures...

my mother's dell optiplex!.......some people.......

14. samuelellis

well i for one like the look of your cabling coolhand, currently better than the mess my cabling is in but as my birthday is in 7 days!!!!!! (my hints are getting less subtle now :lol:) hopefully i can talk a lian li or a cooloermaster out of the parents as a present so my current cabling dont bother me

15. samuelellis

you do realise when RTT gets hold of this image it will be appearing all over the place :lol:

16. Slink

Slink B7

WHy do i see 3 posts in a row from one person?

And they all seem to be abusive, Use the edit button or just dont abuse people, i dont care who it is your abusing, its just not on :blah:

17. VadimtheConqueror

VadimtheConqueror I love the little tacos...

that wiring job is acctually really tidy, looks good....

also, you let your mother buy a dell?

18. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

Considering the mass of wires that are in use there, the only thing that could've improved it would've been spending far too much time to make sure the wires all met at precisely one point (although that would look really really cool, I think) instead of the quarter-sized meeting place. I could practically guarantee you that with that rig you couldn't have done a better job. I couldn't.

I, personally, don't like the look of cables/wires. Which is why I made sure you can see an extreme minimum of the wires in my case via my window.

I've seen cases where people have everything rounded, and literally strewn about. Those have no rhyme, reason, or neatness to them. Coolhand's case is not one of those cases.

Now, before we get any deeper into this... why DID you let your mom buy a dell??

19. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

cool hand, you must have missed my other post. i did say that you did a nice job and such but i guess its the neat freak side in me coming out. everything that i spend some serious time on has to be absolutely perfect and neat at the same time. yes, i read the article and i considered it a good read...

and as to the whole dell issue, she bought it against my advisement, she's hard-headed and quite frankly, that computer has been a royal pain in my ass since she bought it...

but as i also so in one of the other posts, how you run your cables is up to you, to each their own.

20. complexprocess

complexprocess What's a Dremel?

ok, so the dell issue is resolved. onto the next important topic. where the hell did that image come from?!?