1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista Vs. XP for gaming

Discussion in 'Software' started by CoolFox, 23 Aug 2007.

1. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

I need a pointer here... I'm using a brand new MacBook Pro and I intend on running Boot Camp to run Valve's The Orange Box this coming October (Portal Cheesecake!!!:rock:)

I intend on using windows only for games, since I use Mac OS and Kubutnu for everything else. The question is, should I get windows XP and save a few bucks/quid, or spend a bit more and get Vista to "futureproof" myself? If I get Vista, I'm only gonna go for Home Basic, as I'm really not going to use this enviornment for much of anything... but that being the case, should I bother even getting Vista in the first place? Does Home Basic have any real advantage over XP?

2. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

The only advantage you'd see out of Vista is DX10, and I believe the MacBooks don't have DX10-compliant video cards. Unless I'm mistaken, there wouldn't be any advantages in your using Vista over XP.

3. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

Actually, my new Lappy sports the Santa Rosa Chipset and an nVidia 8600GT Mobile 256MB graphics chip, which makes it DX10 compatible, if I'm not mistaken. So the what it really boils down to is Vista worth the extra quid/dough?

4. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

To be honest I think you should stick with XP, the reason is that you need a very meaty GPU to get the most out of DX10.

I have an E6600 & 8800GTX and tried the DX10 version of Company of hero's, it was an interesting experience. Your laptop is going to struggle to be honest since the 8600 is beaten by previous generation GPU's. Looking to the future is only going to see games increasing requirements on GPU's, DX9 support should remain so XP will probably give you the best gaming experience by removing the super fancy (unnecessary) effects.

5. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

I've had lots of problems with my older games with instability and games down right refusing to work on Vista. So much so that I've created a dual boot system with XP (to play the games). If your looking to play your old games, I would strongly recommend XP. If your just gonna be playing current games an onwards, then Vista will do just fine.

6. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

My Macbook Pro has a Core 2 Duo T7700 Merom processor... so with the 8600GT 256MB chip, should I forget about even TRYING Crysis when it ships?

7. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Don't loose your mony on vista, stick with XP.

8. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

XP I tried vista and if you're just gonna play games it isn't worth anything plus all that cool visual effect crap isn't what its supposed to be, just go with XP and save the hassle with vista :sigh:

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i'd say Vista.

if you've got a Dx10 compatible graphics card, there's no reason to stick with XP. Vista is more efficient at memory management, and better browsing experience. i'd only go back to XP if i've got a 2Ghz single core CPU, otherwise, Vista is the way forward.

no problem with software compatibility for me. everything worked out of the box.

ps. yes, i got Vista Business for free from university, so money isn't an issue for me.

10. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Can't you get Home Basic cheaper than XP?
    if it's more expensive, then I say XP, I don't think you'll see much of an improvement with Vista.

11. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

on xp i had no problem playing games a 1680x1050. on vista, i couldn't play above 1280x960. not sure if this is a software glitch or an indicator of performance, but those resolutions were not even presented in the settings menu

needless to say, i'm back on xp.

12. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

ok, peoples, I ask you this! (cue dramatic theme)

IF I were to get XP, would I be a dumby to get Home Edition? Its 40 bucks (US$) less considering the OEM versions, and thats a lotta money!

(I use Dual monitors a LOT, it that makes any differece)

Last edited: 24 Aug 2007
  13. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

If you only want a microsoft OS for gaming then Home Edition makes sense. For everything else your OSX or whatever the OS on MAC is these days will be fine.

As for all the negative comments about Vista, ignore them. Anyone who has given it a try for longer than 2 weeks loves it. It takes a few minuted to get used to the new GUI but once you have it's great. Performance is improving with every Nvidia driver update and is on par & surpassing XP. Its slow after installation, give it a chance to index the files and optimize file palcement and it will be smooth as silk. Most of the problems are not Microsoft's problem but slow adoption from 3rd party software vendors and HW manufacturers.

You also have to remember that many users needed to upgrade their PC's to run XP well, it's the same people complaining about the transition from XP to Vista, that complained about moving from Win98/2000 to XP. As time moves on you need faster cpu's, more memory and faster gpu's to enjoy the experiences.

As for Crysis it will probably run but at low resolutions and low level details.

Good luck with your decision :thumb:

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

very good comment. and i totally agree.

an operating system is like a car, some people tries the new Honda Civic, and says the gear stick is in the wrong place. but after 2 weeks, they'd love it. human are born to adapt.

15. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

Ok, I went ahead and bought Vista. I feel like I'm joining the dark side of the force :), my mac buddies can't believe I'm using Boot Camp. I say they are just closed minded. Thanks guys.

Tags: