1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X38 Chipset Availability date

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cosmic, 28 Jul 2007.

1. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

they say that on their forum, the price will drip by £20 when they are getting sea shipments. so i'd expect to buy it everywhere else for around £170 on 20th the latest

3. ikra

ikra What's a Dremel?

yeah thats true... ive just read an article that it is the premium chip just like the 680i of the 6xx series. Oh well, time to save... if not ill get stuck with a p35 - which of i have no idea what and where to get a cheap but well performing one.

But then again gigabyte as we know releases good OC boards for the price, and i was really very determined to find one... and then i came along this article

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20070820120456.html

$17 difference, £70 maybe as the p35 counterparts hover at £60 esp for the ds3 versions so even a +£10 makes it £70 even £80 if these chipsets really do good oc's id still buy them - although i have my doubts as it is really a heavily stripped version by the looks of it :D

4. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Looks like an X38 board stripped down to fit below a good P35 board.

Rather than buy that, I would get a good Gigabyte P35 board. Expect prices of those to drop by mid September as retailers clear them out

5. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

$17 at cost from Intel imo will be more like a $50 difference at retail after everybody has added their costs & margins.

6. ikra

ikra What's a Dremel?

and now theyre talking about an x48? yeah i do agree there is no reason to buy a stripped version of x38. Problem is i cannot see too much imporovements xept for pcie2.0 even the high end dsq board for x38 by gigabyte is expensive and only runs ddr2. But then again, Ill just hold off from buying a new board now and get one later.

7. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

We are well into September but not much sign of things happening on the X38 front

There is a very limited review at AnandTech of an engineering sample Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 board with an engineering level bios which would tend to indicate we are still a little way off volume shipments (otherwise they would have a proper bios ???). Sometimes patience does not seem the virtue some claim it is.

8. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

9. wyx087

well there be an Asus P5E (without the 3), aka, DDR2 version?

10. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

OcUk have an eta for a Gigabyte X38 of 14/9 & Tekheads are also taking pre-orders again citing mid-September.

11. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Thanks - looks like not a lot will happen before the middle of the month and maybe even the 24/9 the last official target date.

12. stan

stan What's a Dremel?

According to that mini review Asus will be following-up the P5E3 with a DDR2 version. Apart from the 2 x 16 lane PCI-E slots I'm wondering how these new X38 boards will perform up against the P35 boards, and will their hefty price tags be justified, time will tell. In the meantime I shall soldier on with my £15 PC Chips motherboard and superfast AMD Duron 750 Spitfire CPU, overclocked to a massive 900 MHz. haha!

13. wyx087

i wonder where is the dancing blob :) isn't he the one responsible for writing hardware reviews?

may be he's writing on a x38 round up?

so any news on whether Gigabyte's board will be released on 14th? is it affected by the delay?

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

The dancing blob is out in Shanghai at the moment :)

Everything we've heard points to a Sept 24th launch.

15. wyx087

September 24th?! :( too late for me. P35 it is then

16. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

That is the formal Intel release date - does not mean they will not be in the shops before then. OCUK still quoting availability of the Gigabyte board for the 14th (Friday)

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've just been told by more than one person that we're now looking at Oct 10th. :(

18. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Aghhhhhh surely Intel can get a launch date for a chipset right, cannot be that difficult; after all its not as if they have to supply them direct to users just mobo manufacturers. Hilarious is the word that comes to mind

19. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

apparently Intel went for a chip respin as late as the start of September so I guess that has meade it hard for the mobo manufacturers to manufacture mobos & transport to market in time for the original planned date.

20. wyx087

lucky i bought a iP35 Pro, or i wouldn't be able to get my computer up before October uni start date.

stupid Intel, always delaying stuff.

now i hope 9800GTX next year won't be bottlenecked by a PCIe 1.1 x16