1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks not sure which Laptop(your opinon?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PA!N, 4 Sep 2007.

1. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Hi, I want to sell my main rig in near future and get a laptop instead. I dont really want a gaming machine but it should at least have a Core Duo with minimum 1.8Ghz and 2048mb RAM inside...(a somewhat decent medium range GPU would be a bonus)and a good/great battery life. I want something light and portable so it should have a 13" to 15" display and I'd prefer if it was to be identifyed as a "business laptop" something solid not too flashy so you can take it both to business metings and school (I't should look good nonetheless because I have kind of a design obsession but not somthing too "flashy") and almost forgot, a fingerprint reader would be great, too! I alreaddy had a look through the tubes and I kinda like the DELL XPS M1300 and also some models of the HP buisiness line. Does anybody have some advice about the DELL or the HP's? New opinons would be great, too so if sombody knows some decent laptop pleas tell me.

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I doubt any of HP's business laptops have good GPU's, you're going to need a gaming-orientated laptop for that. I do quite like the shape of the new HP business laptops though. :)

3. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Yea I noticed that, but as said before I doesnt nessesarily have to have that inside, though. Anything that can put a lag free picture on my 20" Dell during normal aps (desktop,movies,photoshop etc.) will prob. do fine.

4. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

The XPS M1330 is a fine laptop, it isn't ridiculously overpriced and performance on a business perspective is actually very good. It has the option of the LED-lit LCD screen, which is fantastic, offers a fingerprint reader (extra option). Spec it up with all the extras such as bluetooth and wireless upgrade and it'll probably be just over a grand. It has the looks and excellent battery life with the 9-cell battery too. By the way, I don't work for Dell before you start asking

The downsides are long waiting times, Dell's very recent price increase on the M1330 (due to high demands so they cheekily topped up the price), reasonable graphics card for business use but hideous for gaming (8400M GS on titles dating from 2006 don't run well at all, even on lower, non-native res.) and a DVD drive that is noisier than my M1710 cooling fans when under full-load. There have been rumours of poor build quality across at the States but having come across a few of them in the UK, I've yet to see any indication of poor build quality.

HP business laptops in general are fantastic but the recent trend of using GMA video cards don't really float my boat. Their laptops are targetted towards genuine business use but somewhere along the development line, they must have thought that all business men/women have no life and therefore no graphics power is needed. There is a premium to pay on HP laptops although I have to say their build-quality in general is superb. The downside vs say the XPS1330 is the specs and their LCD screen won't be a match for the XPS 1330. Something like the HP Compaq 8510w would be nice but you'll be looking at over £1500, which really can't be justified when you look at the huge number of options below that price.

The alternative is Lenovo (IBM) laptops but like HP, they are heavily dominated with GMA video cards. Many business-targetted laptops not opting for GMA are supplied with Quadro FX-type video cards and they certainly aren't cheap.

I'll put my safe bet on the XPS M1330.

PS Anyone that mentions Acer will be shot, survivors will be shot again :D

5. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Thank you tzang you have some quality arguments there, that acutally did help me a lot I was alreaddy leaning a bit more over to the M1330 and your post did push me quit a bit more to that side!
    Thank you very much, aprichiate your effort a lot!

I'm on your side there mate :hehe:
    (congrats. you made it into my sig ;) )

Last edited: 4 Sep 2007
  6. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

Personally, I bought a MacBook Pro, and installed windows on it for games. 8600GT 256MB video chip, 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo. It has a few perks, like a backlit keyboard, LED backlit screen, built in webcam, and a DL DVD burner. Whats even better, everything works in windows without a problem. You do have to BUY a copy of windows though if you want to run anything outside of the world of Mac.

7. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

hey CoolFox I did set an eye on the MB Pro but due to the fact that I'm a rather poor student I can't realy afford anything over
    1500€ :(. My personal limit is somewhere above 1.3k€ and under 1.5k€, else I'd buy the MacBook Pro, no questions asked.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2007