1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Enermax 350W converted to flash bang

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mashie, 5 Sep 2002.

1. mashie

mashie The one and only

Well, never ever assume a PSU has autosense for the power input.

I was just simply going to test the brand new out of the box Enermax 350W Whisper PSU I got a week ago, didn't think that it was the stoneage manual voltage selector on it...

Result after beeing in service for a total of 0.2 seconds: Big flash and a sharp bang.

The Enermax is no more... :(

2. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Not good, never seen a PSU with auto sense input yet (seasonic make some wide voltage ones), nearly all are fixed or manual switch :( Not that I rate enermax PSU's...

Rob.

p.s. If you're going to blow something up at least get it on video :rolleyes:

3. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

/me wonders how many people are going to blow up old power suplys on on camera for a laugh

4. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Dunno, got 3 spares here... could give it a go one day I guess.

Rob.

O.T. Would you shorten your sig a little please Sam? That baby's a bit big now :eek:

5. mashie

mashie The one and only

My Sparkle 300W 1U PSU is autosense...

6. samuelellis

no problem m8, i keep adding & never shorten, im as bad with storing stuff & daving bits of apaer, never delete or thow away documents :lol:

i have a old 486 laptop that belongs to my uncle (he used to play for bradford northern so i have to pretend he knows more than i do as i gets more cash :lol:) anyway as ive had it for over a year if he dont claim it soon im gonna wire it straight into mains AC current as the adapter is done :hehe:

7. jamicon

jamicon What's a Dremel?

i did it once, scared the **** out of me.

ive also blown up a CD-rom by plugging it in while the pc was running :)

8. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

OOOpps!!!

What you want is a PSU with Active PFC (power factor connection).

Some have an input range of 90-300V :eeek: (no going wrong there then)...

9. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Don't blow it up...I'd take it for £5 :D :D :D

Seriously, I should be able to get an adapter for it locally. :) Windows 95 would run on it quite nicely

(Need a lappy for college)

10. samuelellis

doubt you could get an adapter for it, it was never metn to be released in this country, it was inported from america & it did nto sell well there, pus it only has a 400mb hd & no cd.

i carryed a p166 round, in college your better going for a slwo machine, then chop & change the os with all the performace tweeks, that way as its a slow computer the batter lasts longer (my toshiba p166 has a 5hr battery life :D) & as you have tweeked the os & as it will only be running word then you wont notice the speed difference

11. mashie

mashie The one and only

Yeah, I had it as a spare just to see if it would make any difference compared to my Sparkle 1U 300W which is autosensing 100-250V. Since I only been playing with autosensing lately I never thought about the switch on the Enermax before it was plugged in...

12. samuelellis

i think i speek for all of us when i say

explosions are cllo :hehe: :lol:

funnyest psu explosion i saw was in the it study centre @ dewsbury college when one of the techs had wated rid of this one pc that never worked, alwasy caused the problems etc, the flipped the switch to 115, then my mate came along & switched it on, you have never seen someone jump so far in your life, i jsut sat there & laughed :lol:

seen a couple go in the hardware lesson, heck we had a teacher that blew one up on purpose once to get otu arrention as no-one was lsitening to him

13. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I remember an old AT PSU that I had, it was actually set for 220v and it just went "bang" one day when i powered it up.

I think something had shorted inside - my mate had been running it as a "handy" ttl source for his 555 circuits (lmao) with almost no load at all.

I think any 19 volt ~2 amp adapter should be "universal".

Wouldn't be too useful to me with no CD anyway though (I remember installing Windows 95 from floppies on my first comp) :eeek:

Might bid for a pentium machine on Ebay, :D I can't afford anything more than about £50.

Still, if you can't find a use for it, I'm sure I can...:D