1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Cosmos SLR

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by coolmiester, 22 Sep 2007.

1. Colossous

Colossous Minimodder

Loving your work there dude !! :thumb:

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Cosmos = best looking case out there

I know this is going to be a great mod :)

3. sik19

sik19 What's a Dremel?

Wow That lower part looks awesome.

4. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

My apologies for keep on harping on about the front panel and boring everyone to tears but it has taken a long time and it does look pretty cool even though i say so myself but i promise to move onto something else next update.

Anyway, i used filler primer hence the yellow colour but even after that the MDF was still showing some problem areas so resorted to using Isopon body filler and gave it a really thin layer of the stuff followed by more dry sanding upto 2000 grit which proved to work a treat as it started looking really smooth.

This morning i got my hands on a couple of rattle cans of Mercedes silver and gave it four coats with 15 minute intervals which went on without any problems at all.

It still needs clear coat then machine polished once its completely dry but i just had to mount the aluminium mesh which was previously painted black to the Merc badge and try another retro fit with the black plexi and SLR badge in place.

See what you think..........i took a few pictures on the bonnet of an SLK which isn't by any means an SLR but gives an over all idea!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. sik19

sik19 What's a Dremel?

Haha really nice that you have the right car to compare it with ^^ looks really great (both ;) )

6. khanage0

khanage0 Minimodder

looking good mate:thumb:
    but why machine polish?do it by hand ive got to...........lol and dont my hands/arms know it
    really liking the contrast between the silver an black.

looking forward to more:D

7. Lupo_IM

Lupo_IM ItaliaModding staff

great work!!!! ;)

8. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

nice case, but that car is the ugliest boggle-eyed machine ive ever seen :)

9. coolmiester

@ khanage0 - you answered your own question there really. I got a body shop that does the final clear coat now and even send a guy to machine polish:naughty: - time is one thing i don't have a lot of ;)

@ simosaurus - cutlery knows not the taste of fine cuisine :p

10. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

I agree with simosaurus actually. Great as the car may be, I hate the way those things look. Oddly enough though, the case is looking ace, despite it being influenced by the ugly stepsister of the modern supercar.

11. coolmiester

New update and for this one you have to use your imagination and look at the SLR centre console to get where i'm coming from.

Basically the top section on the Cosmos has a blank plate that has a similar shape (even though mine is all black for some reason) - anyway there is a 240 radiator going underneath so could do with a bit of extra ventilation plus i needed a place to mount a fan controller and a fill port so i set about making an aluminium bezel that would tick all the boxes.

Cut out the overall shape from 3mm aluminium and then cut 4 vent holes that will have mesh added and painted black later, followed by the 4 holes to mount the fan controller and to make it a bit more pleasing on the eye i cut out the bottom section and using some of the left over plexi from the front door, mounted a polished fill port which fills up the gap nicely

That done, the whole plate was polished and will be mounted up top at a later date and if you use your imagination it kind of resembles the SLR centre console.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah and I eventually found a machine shop that seems to be on the same page as myself when it comes to fabricating one off bits like the 4 CNC’d rails that I picked up today and will hopefully end up going towards making the 2 side vents for the case and time will tell what else we can come up with :)

[​IMG]

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Actually, it does not look like the centre console, in a good way. It's better!

Love the shiny-ness of it and you seem to love fillports acting as eye-catchers, don't you? I remember some yellow black motorcycle-themed case by some talented modder that used a fill-port very well and again he uses it to really build something outstanding.

Awesome craftmanship too, but we're pretty used to that taking into account your earlier projects. :)

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

As I've said on CC, thats damn nice!

14. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

wow looking good. I love how you used the fillport...

15. widmod

widmod Minimodder

awsome work on the top pannel :clap:

16. C:\Joshy

C:\Joshy How much cake can you eat in a min?

looks realy good. especialy when you compare it to the real thing. your polishing is great . will stay tuned.
    keep up the good work
    =]

17. sweets

sweets What's a Dremel?

Removing plastic drive bay tabs??

Hey Coolmiester,
    Loving the work so far. Don't suppose you could point out how you removed the plastic drive bay tabs from your Cosmos? :wallbash: I'm having trouble removing mine for painting.
    Keep up the nice work.
    Thanks in advance!

18. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

sweet!

19. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

the car actually looks great ............ it just has ugly headlights .................

I second aon`aTv.gsus666's statement ........... your console looks great ........

Alan

20. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

technically speaking the car that is in the pics with the modded panel on top of it isnt actually an SLR (though correct me if i am wrong). it actually looks like an SLK 200 (rough guess). compare the headlights of the SLR to the ones in the pics with the modded panel. they are different.

Tags: