1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i go XP 32bit or 64bit?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Igniseus, 4 Oct 2007.

1. Igniseus

Igniseus What's a Dremel?

I'm building a new PC tommorow, and i'm not sure whether to use XP 32bit or XP 64bit for my gaming OS (i install 2 copies of Windows, one exclusive to gaming and one for general use). I'll be using 4GB RAM so that leans me towards going for x64 but i'm not sure. I've read articles that show performance gains of 0-20% in Vista x64 compared to Vista 32bit when using 4GB RAM but i cant find a likewise article for XP (i can find plenty that compare with 2GB, but i want a comparison with 4GB of RAM).
    Drivers shouldnt be a problem (i think), as it will be only for gaming so there's audio drivers for my x-fi and of course drivers for my 8800gtx.

I'm not interested in Vista whatsoever btw. I've tried it before and games did not run as well as in XP generally.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

If it's for gaming and you're certain there are drivers for your mobo and everything else, I'd probably go x64.

3. Igniseus

4. alpha112

alpha112 Modder

Just buy a network card that has XP64 drivers, they only cost ~£10-15 then you can use the full 4gb and more if you decide to upgrade sometime.

5. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

The motherboard manufacturer's site isn't always the best place to go to find drivers for a 64bit os. If you have realtek Ethernet, go to realtek's site... Marvel, look around marvel's site...

6. Igniseus

7. ReelFiles

ReelFiles What's a Dremel?

32bit, driver support for 64bit still sucks, imo. The only thing good about it is if you have 4GB of RAM.

8. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

*sigh* Why don't people actually READ anymore?

For anyone who actually would like to know about even SOME of the 64/32 differences rather than spouting off the above drivel...I've answered this several times, so I'll just reference the most recent. :)

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=1559063&postcount=14

9. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I've been running 64bit XP for the past few months no problems at all compared to 32bit apart from a missing printer driver (not a problem for me)

I'd say go 64bit, you'll be wasting your ram otherwise :lol: