Internet Issues - 1 Computer Works & 1 Doesn't

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by hardeez1, 5 Oct 2007.

1. hardeez1

hardeez1 What's a Dremel?

Hey, I have a question about my internet not working. My apartment complex has free WiFi & I have a laptop & a desktop computer... but just today my desktop will not let me get on the internet. My laptop is just fine though. My desktop computer is a Dell & it has a Linksys Wireless-G NIC in it with an external antenna on it... up until now it's worked great & it's really fast with an average of about 3 mbps. So if anyone feels like helping me out I'd appreciate it. If anymore info is needed just ask. Thanks!

Scott

2. danskmacabre

danskmacabre What's a Dremel?

On the computer that doesn't work , do you get a message like "you have limited conectivity", when you connect to the wifi?

3. hardeez1

hardeez1 What's a Dremel?

Nope, it says it's connected fine. i've seen that message in the past but it's not doing it now. Thanks.

4. AnUnknownSource

AnUnknownSource What's a Dremel?

right click the system tray icon for your wireless internet connection and click repair. This will disable, then re-enable the connection and hopefully ask the wireless access point in your apartment building for a new IP. That is, assuming you're set up for DHCP... If you weren't you could now be having an IP conflict with another tennant... Right click on the wireless Icon again, this time choose "Status" Now click the properties button, and on the new window choose Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the list and click on the properties button. make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS address automatically" are selected. Now click OK, then OK on the next window, then close on the status window.

Tags: