1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Oct 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2007/10/11/half-life_2_episode_two/1

Now we take the story-driven part of The Orange Box out for a spin - but will the game leave us in a whirl, or just dizzy and mildly sick? Could it be the best game in series or even the best game ever? Find out everything you can without ruining the game in our spoiler-free review.

:eeek:

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Great review! I cannot wait for the weekend. I've decided I want to play it all in one go. It is the only way.

3. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

Uhm.. why are you playing with those crappy textures? I'm using a 2 year old graphics card and I aint having no problems with maxing the game out.
    Great review, havent gotten thru the game yet, but I'm getting there!

4. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

last time i neglect real life was halo 3 and i took time off work to play it also. looks like i'm going to have to do it again..... oh what fun i will have.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

:D

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Personally I'm finding Ep2 to run much slower than Ep1 on my system (A64 3700, 1Gb Ram, nVidia 6800XT), and the graphics don't seem to be quite as pretty as before, even running slower.
    I'm guessing it's the new physics system, and I think it's CPU bound, because in the first few minutes, when you send a mine cart or something down some rails to smash a baracade my system slowed down to about 1fps, then HL crashed.
    So I played Portal yesterday and all was good :) (except water effects which also hit my pooter hard, roll on enough cash to upgrade)

Oh, and hooray for this man flu that's had me off work for two days... ;)

7. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

/boast
    Mine runs at about 60 -80fps with everything maxed out :D I had photoshop running in the background as well :p

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The updated Havok engine does a LOT more than before by the looks. Couple in the fact that it's a lot more out doors which the Source engine has never done before and it's a suddenly a lot more intensive.

9. HellRazor

HellRazor What's a Dremel?

Half Life 2: Episode 2 is by far the best game I have played in years.... if you do not own this game, you should get it as you will NOT be disapointed.

10. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Great game. I started playing it about 11:30Pm, and now it appears I'm up at 5am my time. Thats when you know a games good:p

11. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

Couldn't agree more. I did it in one sitting, and couldn't imagine beign dragged away from my computer for whatever reason (school, work, whatever) just as
    some epic story-related thing happens (gman)

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'm gonna have to wait until I've upgraded my graphics card at least, I think ( I currently have a 6600 GTOC). I still haven't completed HL2, never mind bought episode 1.

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I just realised this isn't out retail yet... ah well steam its going to have to be i think.

14. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I want this so bad and yet am having to force myself not to buy it as I am leaking money like a sive atm and need it for books and electronics components :|

think I will probobly last untill half term...

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I've been waiting this soooooo much! The HL2 and Ep1 are some of the three games I've played through on single-player campaign! You can pretty much figure I really like these. I think it's the atmosphere Valve has created... If I have to find a downside then it must be the down-right booring too easy puzzles there are some times. It flattens the feeling when you have to wait for Alyx or someone to speak for ten minutes and then just plug something in ( ;) for those who have already played this).

Superb. 10/10.

16. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I have to agree, EP2 is really really good

Its ALOT longer then E1 (which i think took me like 3 hours?) and way more fun
    The tweaks to the source engine are fantastic, and the maps really rock (decompilation Cheesecake :D)

I'm really impressed with valve, but i do disagree with one thing, Ep2 took far too long, they have updated the source engine, but the core remains the same, it really shouldn't have taken a year (?)

Portal took me about an hour to complete, i was a bit disappointed tbh, but it was fun ... just not as much as i though
    TF2 is good, but i preferred TFC tbh, and i don't think TF2 will have the same impact

So, episode 3 in 2 months time - OK valve ?

17. haggisathome

haggisathome What's a Dremel?

its the mutts nuts ....... still playing it ATM , but what i have seen so far ....... it was worth it , well done valve :rock:

18. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

So far E2 is pretty wicked, Valve does not disappoint with the action, plus Portal and TF2 are great games too. They did a good job making your money worth it, you get some story, a whole new Deathmatch for endless fun at LANs, and something else fun that Im sure will not be the last time you hear from.

Anyway great stuff...but Striders...STRIDERS EVERYWHERE!

19. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Actually stealing one grenade from a zombine gets you "Grave Robber" and you get "HotPotat0wned" for killing a combine soldier with his own grenade, which I found incredilbly difficult, given how quickly they will kill you if you have the physics gun in hand instead of shooting them and how rarely they actually use grenades this time.

20. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

if i wrote that article, id give it 9/10 instead, JUST because it took so long to release. some may say its worth every second waiting, but not me. im not that patient. a few years to get a 6hr game that uses same graphic, same engine, similar story, to be released??? come on... whats the biggest obstacle? writing the story? ill buy that, its that good.
    but no game this short is worth the amount of time waiting.

episode 3 better come in less than a year, or else Valve will be loosing many many players.

Tags: Add Tags