1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Failed POTM shots

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Cuban, 12 Oct 2007.

1. Cuban

Cuban What's a Dremel?

I went out last weekend to Batsford Arboretum in an effert to get some shots for this months POTM, however after looking over my photo's im not very impressed with any of them and would really like some feedback on where im going wrong!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Oct 2007
  2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Are you using manual focus or auto focus?
    IMHO:
    For the first shot, I would have focussed on the leaf in the middle of the shot, not on the stuff in the foreground.
    The second shot needs a bit of DOF tweaking.
    Not sure what you were trying to do with the third pic?
    The fourth shot is a little cluttered: what are we supposed to be looking at, the statue, the trees or the bench? A tighter crop may work here, but I think there's too much going on in the pic.
    Fifth pic is identical to the first. Was it supposed to be something different?
    The main leaf in the last pic needs to be more central and more in focus. I'd also have liked to see the whole leaf (because of the leaf shape, the eye tends to drop off the bottom of the picture)

You know you don't have to take nature at face value? Place the leaves and other bits as you want - you don't have to take pics exactly as they land.

This is, of course, just my ever so 'umble opinion, and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will come along and say the opposite, but hey. You asked for feedback, that's what you've got!

3. Cuban

Cuban What's a Dremel?

ermm, i think those were mostly taken using autofocus.
    With the first shot i had gathered up all the stuff in the forground and tried to pile it nicely, i see your point about focusing on the centre leaf.
    the 4th i was trying to focus on the lion, i will try have different crops and see what it looks like less cluttered.
    Didnt spot i had put the same photo in twice, so ive removed the duplicate.

Thank you for your feedback, tis much appriciated :)

4. coorz

coorz Miffed

What gear are you using? It looks like these are crops unless you used off-centerpoint focus /MF. Is the DOF as you intended?
    To be honest i don't think they're that bad.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]
    Potentially very good shot, but focus was off. You used auto, which decided to focus on the very foreground, while you wanted it (presumably) to focus on the orange leaf in the middle of the image. Also, the shot was also taken at too low an angle --you don't really want sky in the shot, as it will inevitably blow out.

[​IMG]
    You want to remove the blurry helicopters at the top of the frame, really. This shot was otherwise fine, but you had crappy light, making the image look a bit dull. You either needed sun shining down through the leaves (but not into the lens), or behind you lighting the subject. To cheat, set your White Balance to "shade". It sometimes helps to warm the light up a bit.

[​IMG]

Again, your focus was off. You needed a somewhat greater depth of field so all the leaves of the branch are in focus (while keeping the background blurred). Experimenting with Aperture Priority was indicated...

[​IMG]
    I think that picture is just too busy --no clear object/background composition. It might have been better to just do a "portrait" shot of the statue.

[​IMG]
    I think this is a very decent image, really, but manual focus would have given you more control and got the whole leaf in focus, with everything below and further away receding out of focus.

This is strictly my opinion, of course. Hope it helps...

6. Starfighter

Starfighter What's a Dremel?

I've got to agree with all the above comments -- potentially really good pictures, but let down by small things.

I really like no. 5, it has a direct red theme - perhaps bring the main leaf forward a bit and get it all in focus, then let the background go out of focus, creating a nice backdrop.

The red helicopters are interesting, I can't say I've ever seen any red ones. Perhaps they would look nice against a backdrop of some green leaves? As nexxo said, the bright light isn't very flattering.

Good pictures nonetheless, and by no means failures :)

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I think Nexxo has it spot-on, as usual. Almost word for word what I would have typed had he not beat me to it.

I actually rather like the fourth shot, but not as a POTM entry. Although I might have tried stopping down a touch to underexpose it slightly, and maybe make it a bit moodier. With all the leaves on the ground, it has that "summer's dying out quick and it's taking these trees with it" kind of feel, and then all of these bright and happy colors that don't fit at all. That, and it would have helped with the bit of blown sky sneaking through.

8. Cuban

Cuban What's a Dremel?

Thank you everyone for all your feedback, it has given me a lot of things to think about and hopefully when i go wondering with my camera tomorrow i will take some better photo's. Think the biggest point is to stop being lazy and us manual focus instead of auto :)

thank you for taking the time to help me out!

9. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I agree with most of the comments, bar those of number four. I think that's an excellent shot, well composed, with a lovely variety of colours. Perfect for this month's theme, imo.

Five would also be great with a little more DOF to get the whole leaf in focus.

Tags: