1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ICS over x-over

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Eliminos, 15 Oct 2007.

1. Eliminos

Eliminos What's a Dremel?

I recently moved to York uni, home of the network nazis. I brought both my laptop and desktop which was a good thing because my desktop wouldn't connect to the network. It turns out only XP computers with SP2 can connect to it which is a bitch and a half because my desktop will not accept SP2. If I install it it bluescreens on boot and if I install a fresh copy of windows with SP2 built in on a formatted drive it blue-screens at various points in the install. So, SP2 will not go on my desktop.

My laptop however has SP2 and connects to their network fine. I'd like my desktop connected too so I bought myself a USB to ethernet adaptor and a crossover cable. The laptop connects to the uni network via its own port and then to my desktop via the adaptor and a x-over cable.

The problem arises when I try to enable ICS on the adaptor network and then the internet connection on the laptop drops completely until I turn it off again.

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Have you tried bridging the two LAN connections on the laptop?

I'm not great with networks, but it seems like it's an option.

3. Eliminos

Just tried that and it errored saying it needed 2 connections not being used to ICS to bridge.

The adaptor is also sat there with a limited or no connectivity error and I can't work that one out either.

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Then drop the ICS and try bridging them. After that I'm out of ideas, even though I'm sure I did it once; can't for the life of me remember how :confused:

5. Eliminos

Will try that in a bit, once I get back.

Will it be a problem that the connection is probably shared with ICS at their end?

6. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

try setting the two adaptors using the crossover cable to static IP addresses. windows can sometimes go a bit haywire when there's no DHCP server available, hence your 'limited connectivity' problem :)

Might be an idea to get a 3rd-party connection sharing program as well, as ICS is really quite shockingly bad.
    A loooong time ago when i was still on dial up i used to use this program: http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

7. Eliminos

That is so close to working, but for some reason the only site I can access is google. I can search for anything and it will return results but I can't go anywhere from there :eyebrow:

Can you recommend a bigger program than that, I think if I use one with more options and more ports available everything that I want to get working should.

Last edited: 15 Oct 2007
  8. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Sounds like it's working but not getting a visible DNS server?

You'll need to add one in the static settings on the desktop PC, try setting it to the IP addresses of the laptop or alternatively a random public DNS server (look up an ISP's one)

Tags: