1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Zzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Yoda, 9 Aug 2002.

1. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

I was working on my cieling fan ( changing the type of light socket) and I had happily changed teh socket when I plugged in the new bulb. It flashed very brightly and then faded out. Well i went over and all that was left of the filament was the coil. Nothing else was left at all.

So I went to Home Depot and Bought a 120V 100W bulb since the previous was a 12V 75W (that would be why it fried).

Then after struggling for a while I was re-hanging the fan with the power off at the wall. I could not get the three power wires to go back up in the post to which it attaches. So my mom pushed the wires in to the post while I held the fan. After it was screwed on I went to put in the lock pin and realized that the wires were in the way. so I grabbed a metal skewer and tried to push them out of the way. (bad Idea)

The jolt I recieved ended up causing me to cut my finger on the edge of the fan cover and bend/throw the skewer across the room.

Well I now know to turn off the power at the breaker.:cooldude:

2. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

lol, ouch.

I laugh because I have done the exact same thing when installing a ceiling fan - only difference was that the house immediately went dark and my wife was screaming at me from another room because she thought I killed myself. She is terrified of electrical work of any kind.

That tingly feeling that you get when household current is flowing through a part of your body feels kinda good!

3. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

Yep felt it go from one arm all the way through my chest and in to the other arm which was grounded to the top of the fan.

At least it did not start spinning LOL:D

4. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

lol, ouch. I think I'll stick to doing electrical work while the power is off :D

5. ChriX

ChriX ^

:eyebrow: lol, thats rather strange! Its always painful when it happens to me.

6. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

I think because it was off at the switch it was only about 60V
    Isn't house wiring
    Ground
    +60V
    -60V
    ?

not sure but it sure felt funny.

7. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I think it's just 0v and 120v cos AC dosen't have + and -.

Hurts tho :D

I electrocuted myself with my solid-state tesla coil the other day. Didn't think that 4 9v batteries could hurt that much :eeek:

8. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

You should always turn your lighting circuit off at the breakers when working on them! Even with the switch in the off position there's still current up there on one of the lines, Cant quite remember the details of light wiring. I think theres an always live loom up there somewhere!

9. Raven

Raven What's a Dremel?

Lol, yah it hurts for a bit, then the tinglies start. Not only did I learnt to turn it off at the breaker when working on re-wiring, but I also don't trust my own father.

He just loves turning on the juice, when I'm re-wiring a switch or something. Then when he sees me shacking my arm he asks if it's ok to turn it back on.

Sometimes I think he doesn't like me...

10. highlybranded

highlybranded What's a Dremel?

Be thankfull you don't live in the UK!

240V = pain

11. FistMaster

FistMaster What's a Dremel?

I got a nice jolt off a HT unit on a copier I was working on, had the back removed and was tightening up a screw on the front, put my arm around the back to help give more torque and the solder joints on the HT unit (about 25,000 volts) burned into my arm. I now have a rather cool circuitboard brand on my inner arm :eyebrow:

12. markit

markit What's a Dremel?

friend was screwing in a power socket with it ON and the shock threw him 5m across the room! :)

13. penski

penski BodMod

disposable cameras that have a flash int hem also have a capacitor of ~300V

step1: hold capacitor body with rubber-glove'd fingertips

step2: wrench capacitor off PCB

step3: pass capacitor to friend whilst saying 'here, hold this for a second'

result: he has 2 burnt craters in his palm and the flesh between them COOKED

*n

14. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

good thing your no friend of mine.... :eyebrow:

15. penski

penski BodMod

it was an accident... :worried:

16. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

yeh yeh yeh, thats what they all say.

I was quite happily eating a burger sat on the kitchen table one day whilst dad was drilling the wall for some random reason i dont remember now then BOOM!! The drill erupted into like hundreds of black bits that smelt interesting and dad went a over t backwards, silly dad thought he knew where the power lines were in the kitchen that he built twenty years ago... dad got a electricty detector thing for christmas...

17. joe the dishwasher

joe the dishwasher Honk

you know what

you only do this sort of thing once in your life and then you always turn the power of:rolleyes:
    although when i was little i got an electrick shock by sticking som scissors in an electricity socket:sigh:

18. nuclear

nuclear What's a Dremel?

about the live wire
    if the circuit is made correctly, you have the live going trought the interuptor, then to the light, then you go via the ground to the panel.
    If the person who made the circuit placed the ground wire on the interuptor and not the live, your system will always have current in it, even thought it doesn't work, simply because the ground is cut off, but if you put your hand on it, then zaaappp :p
    so easiest way to avoid it is to cut the current at the breaker.

19. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Weird, I have had only one 240v shock, it didn't hurt, I just felt kinda wobbly for a bit :lol:

20. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

just dont let it cross your chest is in In one arm out the other
    that will more then likly stop your heart. but if you fall off the ladder you may get lucky and the impact will start it beating again. happened to a friend of mine, we know it stoped his heart cuz he went to the ER asfter the fact for the burns on his hands, they ran a test and something in his blood told them that the heart had stoped or something.