1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics LCD pin out needed

Discussion in 'Modding' started by PFS*, 19 Oct 2007.

1. PFS*

PFS* What's a Dremel?

Hi peeps

Here is a display i ripped out. It's stats are as such:

Epson
    ECM-A0862-1
    9835AP

[​IMG]
    has 22 wires/point. 12 and 10
    Here is the front.
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the poor quality pic. Camera is at home.

If anyone could please help me to find the datasheet/pinout. I want to use this in an upcoming mod that i am starting soon.

PFS*

2. const_

const_ What's a Dremel?

hi,
    couldnt find anything for you. what are those ICs? one or more could be the controller try to read it and search for its sheet post back here too.

3. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Yeah your best bet it to post the chip numbers

4. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Epsons lcd are almost impossible to get data on, ive got one out of a photocopier and i haven't found anything.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It looks like a very nice graphical 128x128 LCD that will need to be controlled over the parallel printer port of your PC with some specific (free downloadable) controller software such as Liquid MP3.

Crucial in this is what controller chips are used. What does it say on the three big black chips on the back of the PCB? That will give a clue to the pin-out. I suspect it will say: T6963C somewhere.

I also suspect that the PCB contains some circuitry for button controls relevant for its original host device, but not important for control of the display.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2007
  6. PFS*

PFS* What's a Dremel?

k, well went back and checked the "three big black chips" :). the two are the same : M50524FP 825101 (the number right below the M digit) and on the other chip :M50530-001FP A 82110E (below the M digit again.) Have google'd like a crazy person. but nothing so far.

Nexxo, correct on the circuitry for the buttons. So i guessing if i can get the pin out, i rewire it to a printer connector, and run it with either Liquid MP3 (or LCDsmartie) ??

PFS*

7. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

8. PFS*

PFS* What's a Dremel?

he he. thanx. and i might just throw it over your way. Might be able to find another couple laying around here somewhere. I like to generally repay favours. Cause i could find nil with searching. Will keep posted on what happens.
    Hmmmm... what would the postage be from South Africa (Mafikeng) to UK??

9. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Oh didnt realise your were in south africa and i haven't got a clue what postage would be. If you find out let us know it would be great to play with that LCD

10. Nexxo

Not quite... The Mitsubushi m50530 controller appears to be a character controller, so your display may be a character display rather than a graphical display. But you simply use different freeware to control that like LCDHype, which actually contains wiring info in the configuration window.

For a datasheet on the M50530 try this: http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/11706/m50530.pdf

Last edited: 23 Oct 2007
  11. PFS*

PFS* What's a Dremel?

Super thanx Nexxo!!! the PDF you gave is very helpfuk so far. wil see what i can figure out.

PFS*

12. Nexxo

No problem. :)

Samsung makes a roughly similar display, with the same controller (see it in LCDGallery.net). It is a character display of 8 lines, 24 characters each. I suspect that yours has 8 lines too (of perhaps 16 characters length each), and that the seven button contacts on the left and right of the display line up with line 1, and then lines 3 to 8 respectively. This would suggest that the display was some sort of dynamic menu selector. It looks like it would make a tasty addition to a PC bezel.

13. PFS*

PFS* What's a Dremel?

AAaaa! thanx loads Nexxo. that has just given me the push to get it right. Will see what i can figure out. Really helpful.
    And this will fit perfectly in the mod i'm planning.

PFS*

[EDIT] Nexxo, you don't maybe know from which side the pins are counted on this LCD? Can't make that out? There are two red wires. One on each connector.

Last edited: 24 Oct 2007
  14. Nexxo

Kind of tricky. The LCD needs 12 lines (EX, R/W, I/OC1, I/OC2 and DB0 to 7 to control it), and a +5V line and a - line. Then there are the fourteen button contacts, which needed at least 9 lines (seven for each button row, one for each button column). That means the thing needs 23 lines. The connectors come to 12 + 10 =22 lines however so I'm a bit stumped.

The + (5V) line is often counted as the first, and is often red. Sometimes the mass is indicated in a different colour as well, but never in red. Alternatively, the red line here may just indicate the first line, to prevent connectors being plugged in the wrong way around.

So what I think is that the 12-line connector drives the LCD, and the 10-line connector links to the buttons, also carrying the common mass somehow. But it is anyone's guess, and I think you'll have to take a multimeter to the 10-line connector and see if they actually lead to the buttons...

15. PFS*

PFS* What's a Dremel?

Thanx, to the multimeter i go. At least i now have an idea where to start with the thing.

PFS*