1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram upgrade for asus a8nsli se board?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jackarias, 22 Oct 2007.

1. Jackarias

Jackarias What's a Dremel?

Hey

Recently my pc has been leading me to believe that my ram is need of an upgrade.

Given that the manufacturer of my pc has gone bankrupt (lol), i dont know what ram i have (no labels). i remember a long time ago asking them, and it was some exceedingly obscure make. but anyway.

It's 1gig, and is comprised of 2 x 512mb. acording to pcz diagnostic, my ram is running at 200mhz. correct me if i'm wrong but this is pretty slow.

My motherboard = ASUS A8N SLI SE. I think (not certain) that this board is only capable of ddr. not ddr 2 etc. which is highly annoying.
    Anywho

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

3. Carnival

Carnival Dremel a WHAT?!

4. Jackarias

would updating motherboard be advisable? rather than buying lame ram?

my other pc spec:

256mb 7800gtx
    amd x2 4400+
    xfi music

5. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

if you upgraded your mobo you would also need to get new ram anyways. get some corsair value ram. you could get 2 gigs of ddr stuff. then at a later point in time get a hole new rig and keep this one for work or storage. unless your going to put out the cash for a new computer, no point in getting a new mobo when all you need to do is get some ram.

6. Jackarias

this pc cost like 1400 quid 1.5 years ago. i dont want to consign it to the trash heap. i dont mind spending a little extra to keep it mint.

7. Carnival

Carnival Dremel a WHAT?!

Well, 2Gb will keep it going for a while yet then. Might be a good idea to move up to 3 at some point, but unless you're running Vista I would have thought 2 would be enough.

8. Jackarias

i do have intentions of getting vista in the forseeable future.

9. Carnival

Carnival Dremel a WHAT?!

In that case, grab yourself 2 of the Corsair Value 2Gb kits. Vista will make use of the full amount, and it'll save you the hassle of buying more RAM again when you come to make the switch.

At least thats what I'd do...

10. Jackarias

hmm.. that will cost wedge. i could get 2 x 2gb. maybe that would be better.

11. Carnival

Carnival Dremel a WHAT?!

Whichever makes more sense to you really. Either way, if you're upgrading to Vista 4Gb is a must really.

12. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

No it isn't, 1GB is useable, 2GB is perfect! :wallbash:

13. Akava

Akava Lurking...

4GB is more for fun than anything ;) oh, and helpful if you wanna go 64bit.

14. Carnival

Carnival Dremel a WHAT?!

I was going on the assumption he still wanted to use the machine for gaming etc, in which case its always good to have some extra. 2Gb is fine for most games, but Im guessing more is better for the some of the newer releases...

15. Cat_J

Cat_J What's a Dremel?

I used Vista for a while and 2GB was fine (well Vista was crap but it didn't need anymore memory). It never used it all anyway whatever game I played. My recommendation would be don't get Vista anyway. If you want to get the effect of Vista just get some shiny skin, underclock your processor and chuck out some memory, same thing.

I'd go with the 2GB value memory for now, stick to XP, and watch whats happening with new releases and upgrade when you deem necessary.

16. Jackarias

thanks, that is one possibility. to keep the pc high end, would it be better to get a new motherboard and get something better than ddr?