1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ergonomic chair help needed

Discussion in 'General' started by buchans, 24 Oct 2007.

1. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

I'm in the process of tracking down a new chair, Im getting lower back pains and suffer from RSI from time to time. (current chair sucks bigtime and I play MMORPGs too much)

anyway what ergonomic chairs do you use at work or home that you love / couldnt do without / improved your screwed back pain or whatever :)

was considering something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320173687929&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

but it maybe a little too 'cheap' and lacks "seat slide"

also considering this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250177530793&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

£ not the issue but plan on paying less then £500 but cant put a price on a healthy back

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I'll jump in ahead of Nexxo on this one and recommend an Aeron. I've never used one but the guys here who have I get the impression they'd rather be castrated then have their chair taken away.
    Between £100-300 second hand.

3. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

now thats the kind of chair I'm looking for :)

I'll do some investigation

4. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

+1 vote for Aeron.

5. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Ditto, had one at work and I miss the chair more than the job.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Herman Miller Aeron. No doubt about it. I have one and you just forget you're sitting in it.

Buy one second hand/liquidation stock from eBay for about £350,-- like this one. If you're average size, you'll need a "size B" (size A is for petite girlies, size C is for big porkers).

7. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

The Aerons are great. I had one when I worked as a business analyst. Wish I could have taken it with me... They had a rep come in and custom fit them.

8. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

its settled, I'm now on the hunt for a Aeron :)

anyone got any opinions on Lumbar Support vs. PostureFit (im considering a new one, I'd cover the cost in < 2 years in Physio costs so an investment i think)

I can get a new one with "Tilt limiter and forward tilt" , with "Height Adjustable arms, with pivoting armpad" and "PostureFit" for ~£600 not too bad considering the ones I've seen second hand dont have hte forward tilt or postureFit

ty all for pointing me the Aeron way ;)

Last edited: 25 Oct 2007
  9. Nexxo

PostureFit is preferable, as I find the lumbar support a bit hard. Then agin, the chair is perfectly comfortable without either.

Forward Tilt is a desireable add-on, really. But the great thing about Aerons is that you can retro-fit new options as you go along.

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've been looking at new aerons, but every time I spec one out with all of the extras its pushing £800. Didn't realise you can retrofit, second hand may be the way forward. How is the pricing on going down that route, would it not be just worth it to buy new in the first place with all of the shiny bits?

11. Nexxo

£350,-- for a good second hand model; £450,-- for a rarer chrome framed model. Most come with PostureFit nowadays.

12. Mister_Tad

Well the chrome goes without saying ;)

What I'm wondering is if the charge for adding bits on is extortionate, or in line with adding bits on when buying new.

13. Nexxo

Bits are generally sold new. You can add them on yourself. Cost-wise, you still come out ahead.

14. Mister_Tad

Ah, gotcha. An all together better proposition than spending £800 on a new one then!

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Whoah, that's a decent chair. I wish I had the moneys to drop on a chair like that tbh, while my chair at home is comfy, it's not as comfy as those. :D

Still, if you have the moolah, and use a chair often enough, why the hell not?!

16. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

adj arms with pivot = £78
    tilt limiter and forward tilt = £59
    posturefit = £51

so second hand for £400 delivered ebay
    + £188 for the addons = £588

and a new one for £600 delivered from these guys...

http://www.aeronchair.co.uk/Order_Aeron.cfm im very tempted to go for the new one

and so happy I finally found the 'holy grail' of chairs lol :)

17. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I've been after one of these for years though even with my back trouble I still can't justify dropping a few hundred quid on one. Maybe I should treat myself when I eventually get a new job ;)