1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Good headphones?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buzzons, 19 Sep 2007.

1. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Im surprised know one has mentioned some Grado headphones.

SR-60's work great without a headphone amp, These are what I use and like a lot.
    SR-80's work ok without an amp, my brother has a pair and likes them alot
    SR-125's are also great cans.

Heres a word of advice, upgrade to the big ear cups. Helps the bass out and they dont hurt if you wear them for long periods of time.

2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I use HD215's for gaming and music when it's too late in the night for speakers and monitors, and I rather like them, but their frequency response curve isn't flat - They're aimed at DJs so they'll slightly boost bass frequencies to tailor to that market (which is silly for music production, but that's another topic).

The people saying +1 or -1 to various brands either don't know, or are forgetting, that as with studio monitors, headphones are a very subjective purchase.
    What sounds good and is physically comfortable to one person may not be to the next, and unless you can find a pair of headphones that offer an absolutely flat frequency response 'curve', then the issue of what sounds good is complicated further still by personal preference for frequencies; and taste in music.

If it's feasible, get your father to try out as many different sets of headphones as you can find, so he can decide what ones sound right for him.
    If he doesn't actually care enough to try out different sets, then just pick up the HD215's - They're cheap, sound good (subjectively-speaking) and they'll do the job.
    Additionally, the cable supplied with them is very long, which may be a good enough wired alternative to hissy, expensive wireless cans for him.
    They're not noise-cancelling, but they do block external sounds quite well when you're wearing them and I find them quite comfortable to wear for long periods.

Lastly, anyone recommending in-ear-buds is doing a disservice to the OP and his father - In-ear phones will ruin your hearing, whether you realise it or not, even at what you think is low volume.
    Presumably, your father is middle-aged or older, and would rather hold on to his hearing for a while longer - If so, don't get in-ear phones unless you're planning to spend a lot of money on the highest quality ones.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2007
  3. zerolock

zerolock What's a Dremel?

Thanks for advice, truly appreciated.

BTW, I think you got me confused with Buzzons, cos
    I'm buying for myself not my father :lol:

(sorry for the bad english, if any)

4. phillj

phillj What's a Dremel?

I have had Senhisers noise isolating headphones for ages and they are great! Try them not plugged in and turn the noise isolator on and off and you really notice the difference!

5. zerolock

zerolock What's a Dremel?

I've been searching for some more headphone alternatives
    and know I've ended up with Sennheiser HD 280 and Sony MDR-V700DJ
    as my high-endish options and Sennheiser HD 215 as a cheaper option.
    And again would like you to give me some opinions or comments.. :D

6. jfab199+

jfab199+ What's a Dremel?

I would also suggest Grado SR60, or SR80 with an amp or Etymotic for sound isolation