1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Crysis Reviews

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Da_Rude_Baboon, 14 Nov 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well after a splash, I've had a Crysis in my pants and I'm sold. I'll let Joe do "the main event" but I think there will be plenty of discussion :D

A E6750 OC'd to 3G+, an 88GT, 1280res and everything set to V.High but post processing at medium should do most people - chugs a bit but playable. High doesn't look that bad but once you've played on V.high in DX10 you don't want to go backwards. There should be a LOT of driver optimisation coming I'd imagine to tweak things up a bit n all.

Doug - I'm sad you didn't say "Excellent" but you're ginger so I'll let you off. (secret roffles, <3 you too).

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Gameplay wise it's solid, but nothing especially new. I certainly wouldn't call it groundbreaking or stunning - it's a mix of COD4 and Prey for the sci-fi tactical elements. It's got a load of things done well, but nothing that is actually groundbreaking. FarCry with power-ups and ironsights. That's not a bad thing at all - the game IS good, but it pisses me off for people to say the gameplay is groundbreaking. Graphics, sure. Gameplay? Try BioShock, Mass Effect, Portal or Penumbra for groundbreaking. Kthnxbai.

3. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

From some of the reviews I've seen, it sounds like a repeat of Far Cry: amazing graphics, fantastic production values, engaging gameplay early on. But with a duffer of a story, fading glory as the game progresses to it's climax, and unexceptional but fun gameplay.

I'm just very reluctant to believe the hype after the Bioshock release/hype machine/lies.

4. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

I enjoyed the story and I've never felt as much of a real battle as I have in the game. COD4 is great for CQB in some form of a war but Crysis is way hotter. Graphics and environment interaction is top notch too.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not everything has to be ground breaking and I agree that it isn't, it just pulls in a lot of good features and polishes them - I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed FarCry-esq action.

6. CardJoe

QFT. The game does have several detectable flaws to my eyes, but it is solid and has a reasonable level of polish. It's a good game, a great game, but not my game of the year thus far by any means. More in the review though as I still have another day or two to work on it before UK release.

7. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Why isn't there a collector's edition for this game on sale in the UK? :( I had to settle for the offer on Play.com, although I'd gladly put in another 30 quid for the additional bits.

8. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I loaded up Far Cry last night, it burned my eyes. The game was amazing when it came out, and I loved it at the time, but compared to modern games it feels bland and uninteresting. Playing it yesterday I failed to grasp what I once saw in it.

I started thinking about Crysis and wondering if I'd feel the same way about it in a year's time. FPS are fun but without solid, involving, RPG elements (as seen in Deus Ex) these types of game tend to age so quickly.

9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

C'mom Joe stop looking at Bioshock with rose tinted glasses.

Bioshock was a good game but it is heavily over rated. Sure it has great production values and excellent story telling but the gameplay is very mundane. As a first person shooter it falls down on the fact all the splicers are more or less the same so combat soon gets very dull and repetitive. The big daddy's are only difficult to kill in the first 3 levels then after that they pose very little challenge. To top it all off the final boss is easier to kill than the big daddies . I'm not an RPG fan but even i found the character development flawed as you get enough adam/eve to level up in all areas anyway so its just a choice of which areas to improve first. The plasmids do not really add anything to the game and most of them are pretty useless anyway. I enjoyed the story and exploring the world of rapture but once i completed the game i have very little desire to play through it again.

10. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

^ And its not original, all the ideas are essentially lifted from System Shock 2. It's still an amazing game, but its not groundbreaking. Zero Punctuation has a good take on it. :)

11. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Not sure if these days we just have our hopes and expectations held too high? Is this because of the hype we all get from the games?

I tried not to get too excited and enjoyed the game as much as possible and I actually found it very fun. Gameplay is nothing amazing as most have said but there are some elements I like about it, the suit functions add interesting combinations to kill your enemies.

The graphics are just ... man I was only playing it on high texture and medium for everything else! (low for stupid shadows :p).

Even if the gamplay wasn't stunning or anything innovating I think the graphics surely make the gameplay more immersive for me, the environment just seems much more believable and involving.

I hope the development of 3D glasses will really speed up, cause in the future the limiting factor is your screen. Imagine yourself fully immersed in 360 view literally right infront of your eyes, 3D aswell!

12. CardJoe

True. But it's easier for me to reference BioShock casually than to have to explain to people what System Shock 2, Planescape Torment and Deus Ex are and how old games like that are still the best. BioShock has flaws, but you have to remember that it's the ONLY game like it in the last few years.

Review up in an hour or two. Let's prepare to move the discussion over there.

13. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

anyone know if microsoft net framework 1.1 is required for crysis as I now have it on my pc but didn't
    before I installed crysis. It might have been part of gamespy but I looked on the crysis disc and couldn't
    find anything relating to net framework. I'd like to remove it but I'm in the middle of crysis and don't want
    to screw it up.

14. pigme1000000

pigme1000000 What's a Dremel?

ive nothing bad to say about crysis ...ending was a bit of a bummer,maxed the settings out and it ran fine till the end when i could walk though walls,i thought the anti grav chambers on the alien ship were great fun!!!! i take it there maybe a sequal then?

15. labsman

labsman Tech. hungry gadget freak!...

Reviews aren't bad for A'sC right now, all i'm waiting is yr.08, for PC though..

BTW, my first post here...

16. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I've been playing the game, and i have to say the graphics are great and i'm on the defualt setting, my Sapphire X1950GT can't turn on AA without serious frame drops, the actual gameplay is great, I myself never played farcry so it's not boring like everyone else thinks.

17. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Check out the program I've linked the program should improve ATi cards even more!

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1605916#post1605916

18. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

You've finished it... you tell us :idea:

:D

From comments I've read elsewhere - by others who've finished it... the ending *apparently* leaves the game wide open for a sequel... or at least an Expansion Pack?

Those same "others" agree with you though...

Shame really, to have [what sounds like] a rather lousy ending, to what is otherwise a truly fantastic game :sigh:

19. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Oh don't worry, the ending isn't lousy. It's just somewhat like HL2. You feel gratified but really any form of ending would make you somewhat upset that there isn't more to play at that moment.

20. CardJoe

Its intended as the first part of a trilogy.

Tags: