1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster slip, stab, kaput!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by logan, 10 Sep 2002.

1. logan

logan flashback!

Ok - i'm incredibly stupid, but thought i'd share this with you, if just to display my embarrasement.... :blush:

Stupid thing number one:

Basically, was trying to remove the fan/cooler from my processor when i slipped and stabbed my motherboard with a precision screwdriver. doh!

There was no noticeable damage to the motherboard, but when i turned it on it just froze - the diagnostic LEDs on the motherboard told me that the processor was either "incorrectly installed or not present". Bum! :cries:

No idea if it was the processor or the board that was damaged so i replaced them both (I'm in the middle of my dissertation so had to whip out the old credit card quicksmart).

Which brings me to my second rant:

Stupid thing number two:

Why did nobody tell me that AMD are using dumb names for their XP Processors? I bought an Athlon XP 1700 assuming it would be 1700 MHz, but no - that would be far to logical.

1470 MHz!!!! WTF is that? :eyebrow:

And the supplier didn't even mention it! grrrrrr.

Can somebody please make me feel better about my foolish purchase - my only consolation so far is that it's still faster than my knackered one.

2. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

At least the thing with your original disaster is................................................ You are not alone! I, and I expect a fair few others have done something very similar!;)

3. logan

logan flashback!

True - I've done it before and been lucky enough not to break anything (but didn't learn from my mistake!).

Also, i'm hoping i may still have a working processor or motherboard - dunno which one i broke (I'm guessing board) but I'm too scared to test either with my new bits yet in case I scooby those up too...

4. penski

penski BodMod

it's called a 1700+ because it has the equivelant processing power of a PIV

not a claim to be 1700MHz

AMD, like apple, are trying to banish the 'megahertz myth' that intel purports

:)

*n

5. logan

logan flashback!

That's what i was hoping - just didn't want to start thinking that way and be let down! in that case i'll be grateful for the money i saved! (didn't want to buy new psu and memory just to run intel....)

6. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

True, true.

I "almost" killed my new K7S5A while installing the HSF on my cpu. The screwdriver slipped and nearly gouged some SMC's off the board :eeek:

Still worked :D

7. Gerschwin

Gerschwin What's a Dremel?

Not quite true - they are rated as to what they would be in equivalent to a Thunderbird - a 1.7Xp is 1.4ghz but a Thunderbird would be 1.7 to get the same performance

8. logan

logan flashback!

Oh it's all so confusing (and i have a degree in these things dont you know)

Why don't they just say "This processor is the best. and will be the best until the end of time. You've spent you money wisely."

apart from that whole trading standards thing of course....

ah well. needed it instantly to finish my dissertation, so don't really care. :D

9. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Hehe, brings back memories of my first custom built pc, I stabbed the onboard sound chip when the screwdriver slipped, I suppose it had the plus side of me not being lagged to death by the ac97 c**p :lol:

10. Angel_of_Death

Angel_of_Death What's a Dremel?

don't worry bout' it. I did that three times to my old MB with a BIG screwdriver but amazingly it survived. Maybe cheap crap is good after all? :D

11. Bobit

Bobit What's a Dremel?

I drilled a hole through my old radeon 7000. It still worked but it wouldnt anti-alias. :D :D :D It died about 8 hours later.