1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News US Army creates new gaming office

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

'Press the F key to fix your jammed gun'

3. gpw111

gpw111 What's a Dremel?

press the f key to abuse the prisoners

4. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

I thought Frontlines: Fuel of War was the new training tool for the army. Next war is surely to be over oil (again).:D

5. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

i really don't think it desensitizes people as much as you would think. i mean i play violent video games all the time, but i definitely couldn't just go out on the street and kill some one. my morals are still intact. it would take a very extreme situation for me to even consider harming another person let alone killing them. But the surprise will be on the soldiers once they've trained with a computer then have to face down their first real opponent. I don't think they will be half as prepared as they think they would be. But then again they train on blank cut outs now.... i suppose maybe they just have it in them.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Does it come with an 'airstrike friendlies' option?

I know this isn't true for a lot of people, but personally, I couldn't do even half the things I do in games, which makes me find the 'desensitization' thing somewhat far fetched. I'd be more willing to believe that impressionable people are more struck by the content of a game, rather than the game desensitizing the user into being mentally capable of doing certain things. That doesn't read right, to even me, but I lack the time to put sufficient thought into it right this second. The only game content that'd get me 'killing' is zombies. But since they're already dead, does that even count?

7. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Press F10 to desert the army :)

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

So they are focusing on graphics and level editors huh, I would have thought they would concentrate on making realistic AI so the soldiers can train against them.

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

maybe they're training "The Computer" to kill all humans

10. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Hooah!

11. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

im in the navy, and i think its a great idea.

to be quite honest, virtually all of the fellow members that i currently know are interested in some videogame or another, i think if they grant time at work, and off work to play these games with eachother, maybe with some sort of gun-like input device guys would have lots of fun and learn better as a team in a safe enviornment.

i tell you what, ive been playing carmeggedon, SOF, quake, doom, hexen, ect for as long as i can remember, and it would take quite a lot in order for me to harm someone, ive never been in a fight - however close it may have been. but i actually think violence in video games makes me personally realize what is actually going on.

CoD2 for example, actually playing a role in D-Day made me question the fact that it is physically possible that the event in history actually happened, and that we actually won. and that game was not even THAT violent.

its just me, but i the militarys number one priority is mission readyness. number two is the military member and his\her safety. protecting the country and the rest of the free are the number 1 priority, we sign up to risk our lives to protect the majority, so we accept that, and our safety is second. so making a pre-live scenario to get used to the live scenario, waste as little man hours (setting up a live scenario ect) as possible, and having it be enjoyable and 100% safe is a great direction to move in. as long as the keyboard does not blast over the winners head ;)

but thats just me.

12. gillett

gillett What's a Dremel?

Come on guys, just becuse you dont agree w/ the military you dont have to bring it up here.

13. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

no, they dont have to. but they still have the right to do so if they want to.

Tags: Add Tags