1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Kinda n00b question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J_Harrison89067, 22 Dec 2007.

1. J_Harrison89067

J_Harrison89067 .

Hi, Im thinking of buying an ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 3870 Graphics card (which is considerably better than my current 8600GT) and I want to know two things:

1.) Will my 500W PSU be meaty enough to power it?
    and 2.) Is it compatible with my ASUS P5NE-SLI Motherboard?

Regards
    Jon

Last edited: 22 Dec 2007
  2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Hi.
    1) It'll propably work, but just to be sure, could you list out your complete spec? Or then you could calculate it yourself in here.
    2) Every graphics card works in every motherboard, if it only has the right connection (AGP/PCI-E) and your mobo propably has PCI-E, so you are fine with that.
    If you're planning Crossfire, you need a crossfire compatible board.

:thumb:

3. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

yes (as long as it has a 6pin PCIE power connector) and yes (as long as it has a PCIEx16 slot) but both of those are a given these days.

but if you want 2 in crossfire, you have to have a crossfire enabled Mobo

4. J_Harrison89067

J_Harrison89067 .

According to that my reccomended PSU wattage is around 438W, which is good. I have a Q6600 at 2.44 Ghz, 4GB of Corsair Ram @ 333MHZ each and NVIDIA 8660GT @ 512MB, Im planning to add some more cooling and overclock my CPU soon after Ive got my card, thanks for the answers anyways :).

5. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

I personally don't put too much credence on those PSU calculators, since it also depends on make of PSU (ex. Corsair PSUs are conservatively rated; while cheap ones are overrated) and some MBs are power hogs (e.g. DFI NF4 boards); Also, I much rather have a PSU that's got more power than I need

6. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

radogrill is right, it all depends on the make of your PSU, if its a well known brand it should be fine. If its something that came with your case or a cheap no name then it probably won't handle it too well.

7. Akava

Akava Lurking...

As mentioned before it does depend on what make of PSU you are using, but if the GT isn't having any problems try stick on a coupel extra fans if you have then and see what happens, if no change at all I would imagine it would be fine, either way good luck, tis a brilliant card!