1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows How to set up SLi on Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Teh C, 25 Dec 2007.

1. Teh C

Teh C Arg

I know on XP all you did was go into the nVidia control panel and checked the box, but I'm totally clueless on how you'd do this in Vista, as its my first time using it today. :confused:

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Right click on desktop - Nvidia control panel - same place.

:)

Display settings are a right click on desktop - properties, then MS stupidly decided to split everything up rather than leave it in tabs :(

3. Teh C

Teh C Arg

Sorry if i'm being an idiot but I get this control panel, i've checked through everything on the left where it says 'Select a Task...' and I still can't find anything. :eyebrow:

I'm on Home Premium if that helps.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What NV card and drivers are you running? It should be pretty obvious in 3D settings

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Why did they do that anyway? It's actually less effective than the tabs in XP. The less new windows, the better IMO.

6. Teh C

Teh C Arg

Im using two 8600GT's my friend had before he got a 8800GT. The Properties say the driver is 7.15.11.6222

Edit: I just got the new drivers off nVidia's site, but nothing changed. This is what my nVidia control panel looks like by the way :

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1272/nvidiapx7.jpg

Last edited: 25 Dec 2007
  7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Go to the Nvidia site and download the latest Vista drivers.

You should have an SLI tab - what board are you running and have you used the SLI bridge?

8. Teh C

Teh C Arg

I got the latest drivers, yes I do have an SLi bridge (i'm only new to Vista, not to building computers), and my board is a Asus P5N-E Sli.

Look what GPU-Z says now. Only one Graphics Card and its obviously not in SLi :(

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4277/97544262rr7.jpg

Last edited: 25 Dec 2007
  9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You should have and SLI tab in the Nvidia control panel, sounds like you are experiencing a similar problem I had when I first went to Vista and it wouldn't show it.

What I had to do was uninstall all Nvidia drivers not just display and then re-install both the chipset and the gpu drivers, there are also Vista hotfixes here that need to be applied.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html

10. IccleD

IccleD What's a Dremel?

This may sound daft but have you checked you've enabled SLi in the BIOS? (If needed?)

Are both cards present under the Hardware Tab in Windows System Properties (Right Click "My Computer", then Properties, them Hardware (on XP anyway!)

Have you made sure both cards are plugged in correctly and working?

It may sound stupidly simple, but you never know!

Good Luck!

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I was just checking to see if you double checked everything ;)

It says your bus interface is x8 so it's running the two X16 slots at the right speed so it's picked the other one up - either it's knackered or not installed. Check Device Manager (Windows key + Break iirc) to see if both are installed correctly.

12. Teh C

Teh C Arg

Device manager only finds one under Display adaptors. Also, sandys I done everything you said and still nothing. I've also checked inside my case, Both cards are snuggly fit in, and the bridge is fine too.

13. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I'd try them 1 at a time, and figure out which one has gone to the eternal hunting grounds.

14. Teh C

Teh C Arg

Sorry if this is a bump or anything, but today I just turned my comp on and it said it had found new hardware - a 8600GT. I installed the drivers, and now SLi option has appeared in the Control Panel :D

Tags: