1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK and Austrialia - Nanny State++

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Guest-16, 31 Dec 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

yeah the aussie net-nanny program got hacked by a 15 yo in about 30 minutes.

3. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

horay for the Labor Government! Luckily I never wanted to do anything remotely fun in my life so I will bend over and take it kindly!

This is just going too far, for one thing, the "net-nanny" should be opt in not opt out and this speeding crap is all the government care about. I'm surprised cars that can surpass the 10MPH mark are allowed in the country.

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Religion has been trying to control my right hand, now it's the government trying to control my right foot.
    Whatever next.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

See, by being a shallow minded self-obsessed teenager, I am imune from all these things!

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I don't know about anyone else, but I wan't to be the only one in charge of any of the pedals, whether I'm speeding or not.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well if you drive a modern car with a drive-by-wire throttle, you aren't, the computers are. But this is a different step. I'll be damned if a computer will control my speed.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I suppose what I meant was that I don't want anything other than my right foot controlling my speed. But I suspect you knew exactly what I meant and were just being pedantic :p

Its not uncommon for my sat-nav to freak out and suddenly bitch at me for doing 70mph (well, 80 odd :worried: ) in a 40-50 zone (when its not at all). Does this mean that I would be cruising along and suddenly enter the "40" zone and get greeted in the face with my steering wheel as the anchors are dropped?

This stuff just scares me.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

There have been recorded incidents in the US of cruise control software glitches, catapulting a car forward as a person is trying to gently coast to a halt into their driveway (Sudden Unintended Acceleration). Oops. Luckily a car brake has about 3 to 5 times the HP of the engine.

As with every far-fetched idea conceived by a government full of politicians that couldn't program a VCR, and implemented by the lowest bidder for government contracts, I don't see this one working out.

Let's just try to stop losing data disks first, eh? Don't run before you can crawl.