1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Custom Ipaq OS?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr-IK, 5 Jan 2008.

1. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Hi everyone.

I recently found my old Ipaq 3630 which i had forgotten everything about. It's pretty outdated, and not worth using as it is, due to my new phone and my other gadgets. So i tried to google "Ipaq custom OS/firmware", but didn't really find anything useful. I just wondered if anyone ever made such a thing as custom firmware/OS to an ipaq, and in that case, where i can get it?

Greets Mr IK

2. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Nope, you could try the 'Touch Home' app but I think it only works with wm5 and 6.

3. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

I've got a 3900 iPaq and in pretty much the same situation as you, I've looked around a bit and didn't find anything. There might be some linux distro that may work but I dunno.

4. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

I have an old ipaq 3630.

A little app called 'sidewindow' lets me have it as an extra display in windows, it'll scale down a larger res to fit, or you can use it at it's own res, in landscape or portrait, and the touchscreen controls the windows cursor.

it's not bad as a little extra window for your msn contacts, skype, or temp/voltage monitors.

I'vge debated removing it from it's casing, getting dust out form under the screen, or replacing the screen with one from ebay, and trying to mount it onto my pc somewhere, maybe on rails to sldie out of the 3.5" bay and tilt round like the kvm's in the racks in the data center i work in :)

5. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I'm sure there must be a way. I've got a Windows Mobile phone and there are literally hundreds of 'roms' for them - they're all versions of Windows mobile but with different features, apps, programs etc.

Have a look on XDA-developers.com (a forum for HTC phones) - at the very least there are some interesting apps to play around with, though a lot of them are obviously geared towards phones. I'm be surprised if there wasn't an iPaq hacking site though.

I've upgraded my windows mobile 5 phone to run a touchflo-enabled WM6, it's great!

6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I have an ancient Dell Axim x5 running WM2002. Can it easily be upgraded to a newer version, because not being able to use it with Vista is really annoying?

And yes, sidewindow is quite cool, I had it running for a bit with Google Talk on it. the only problem is you can't really watch video or anything on it because the refresh rate is so appalling.

Tags: