1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Do I dare to install Linux?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mm vr, 28 Dec 2007.

1. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

So I'm again here with my old computer asking you about something stupid...

I've had severe problems with a Xubuntu installation, as it refuses to install the boot loader. And when it doesn't do that, it corrupts the Windows install.

I've now installed Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs, which is based on XP, but is a lighter version of it.

I've also installed a few programs and all the Windows updates (OMG there are more than 60 of them).

I've used something like 4 hours to get everything done so I really wouldn't like Linux messing up everything again...

The distros I currently have downloaded are Xubuntu (alternate install CD), which messed up everything earlier, and Damn Small Linux, which I haven't tried out yet.

I see I'm able to boot DSL from the LiveCD, so I'll try that soon.
    Will it mess everything up as Xubuntu did if I decide to install it on the HD?

The specs are:
    - AMD K6-2 @ 500MHz
    - 130MB RAM
    - Diamond S3 ViRGE 2MB @ 55MHz/55MHz (lol)
    - 3GB Seagate

Regards, mm_vr

2. mm vr

No one hia??

bumpahh

3. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

probably. i cant think of any reason ubuntu would screw up the boot loader or windows, so i'm guessing either you're doing something wrong, or there's something wierd in your bios. i know on one of my systems i have to have the raid controller set up in a funny way for linux to boot. maybe it's something like that.

4. mm vr

Never mind anymore, simply installed DSL and got it succesfully working :thumb:

5. eddieitman

eddieitman What's a Dremel?

I would say try pclinuxos its great and is one of the easiest distros out there

6. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

I was going to say if you ever have an issue with a corrupt xp boot record you can repair it if you go to the repair console and fixmbr ... worked a treat for me ... thats my ten cents anywhoo :)

Tags: