Scratch Build – In Progress Project Amplifier - Finally finished!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Godric, 5 Jun 2007.

1. Godric

Godric What's a Dremel?

Well, I've been a busy bee this last week, the arrival of the rest of my WC parts gave me enough to do. :)

My 120mm rad, a Black Ice Stealth 120 Lite, de successor of the Black Ice Pro, has to get a nice spot. So I used threaded steel to attach it to the case, this way I still have space under the rad to place my pump.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fan is a Yate Loon, I will be taking it apart to give a nicer look, I got this idea by Coolmiester and tried it already with a Yate Loon lying around. To give some extra air I drilled a few holes, too bad they are not all in line, it is just too much work to re do the plate, and it will not be visible.
    [​IMG]

I started on the front as well, to win some space I replaced the original part by some alu.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First the plan was to use a reservoir, for now I decided not to do it. I haven't got a lot of space on the back and I was uncertain it would do the shape of the case any good. So I bought a Delrin fillport by Danger Den.
    [​IMG]

The first spot would be the back, but then the T part would be in sight above the motherboard. Lucky enough I found a spot on the left side.
    Let's saw some holes! :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And back together :D
    [​IMG]

These are my hoses, I like the blue colour, if the lights are off they also look okay.
    [​IMG]

Lights on!
    [​IMG]

And this will be used for some extra effect :)
    [​IMG]

Good news is that I found a powder coater real close near my house. This is much cheaper than spray painting myself, the quality is better and it saves a lot of time! When I'm done sawing and drilling I will bring the parts and get it back mat black. With a spraycan I will be adding some details.

I'm also close to ordering my acrylic, too bad I am still waiting for a few sample pieces to determine the right colour. Anyway, I am busy again! ;)

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Good job! I've seen all too many amplifier-casemods where people have just slammed the stuff in and ruined the outlooks, but you've done good job preserving the original outlooks. That's the point in this kind of casemods IMO! And also good work with all the other stuff so far :)

3. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Reminds me of my "Stereo-Type" mod, I love mods like this.

Subscribed :D

4. Godric

Godric What's a Dremel?

Update
    A long long time ago an update was posted here, and it will be a long long time untill this happens again. :(. I will be leaving at the start of February to the UK for an internship, five months away from home means no modding :(. But I still had some update material lying around, so here it is!

After a good tip of Brinkz0r I mailed Hiper to asked them for a RMA psu which I could harvest to mod my own. Hiper reacted positive and UPS knocked on my door :).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A big disappointement was that the nice cables Hiper makes with it were not sended along, and Hiper couldn't help me with that. So making my psu modulair by harvesting this psu is not going to work. Maybe the blue mesh comes in handy and the blue led fans might work with the case as well :).

I redid the front, the holes were oval and the strip was too slim. This looks a lot better.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been quite busy making a turn pulse-contact, since these aren't for sale. I didn't want some scappy paperclip solution so I used a real pulse contact as well. By turning the knob, the contact is pushed in, should work perfect. With the COM port I can implement all kinds of nice functions in to my front :).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I've been drilling a lot, some extra airholes and the holes for the feet. Lucky I have a drill press :clap:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The HDD position will be like this, the psu has it's fan above it so it should be cool. Hopefully it doesn't make too much noise.
    [​IMG]

And as last also some little viling and dremel work. To reach the PCI slots I needed to take a little strip of the front. Luckily I've been testing this sorts of practical things now, and not after powder coating :D.
    [​IMG]

Since my last update, I also launched my website, it is in English. Check it out if you like to: www.godric.nl
    So next update will be in the far far furture. When I return I will start modding again, I really want to finish this case so I can use it in my living room. I am getting bored of the CM Mystique I use now and want to mod the Mystique badly! Staying busy :p.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2008
  5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I like that powerswitch/cam solution.:D

6. widmod

widmod Minimodder

perhaps you can find somebody who has some hyper PSU cabels left...

bte nice project:clap:

7. Godric

Godric What's a Dremel?

@ Cheapskate: Thank you, I am happy with it as well. Simple and working :)

@ Widmod: who knows, if someone has them, give me a message! :thumb: Thanks for the compliment.

8. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Hehe, stainless steel.. ouch! <XD Nice project! Looks like you have good skills working with metal, so it will be very interesting following this log!! I'm willing to bet that this mod will look great when it's finished and that there will be tons of interesting stuff in the log.

Aaaaww, those rats are really cute!! ¤_¤ ^_^ What are their names?

9. Godric

Godric What's a Dremel?

Ghehe, thanks. The rats names are Bailey and Bliss. Bailey is the dumbo one :D (the one in the front). The real interesting stuff still has to come, my mind is full of ideas and it should become a really nice htpc :baby:. A mix between futuristic and retro :D.

I've got some good news by the way! Following on my problems with harvesting the Hiper psu someone offered his Hiper cables! His one was dead and he was okay with giving them to me for the good cause. So when I am back from the UK I will be modding my psu with these cool cables, should be nice :).

10. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

Looking better evey time I check up! :thumb:

11. Godric

Godric What's a Dremel?

Finished!

Enormous kick!

It has been a while but now that I've actually finished this mod I wanted to share the pictures. Having the case unfinished in my workroom kept me thinking and now, finally, I have finished it. I did left some ideas out of the final mod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The buttons switch the lights on and off and powers on de pc, There is also a reset switch. The analog meter shows HDD activity.

I haven't done anything with the WC equipment and I am going to sell it, pity it is not in the case but I would have been too much work to keep it in good shape.

Amplifier is now taking its rightful place in my TV cabinet. It took some time but I can look at it with satisfaction ;)

12. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

The final product looks outstanding. Nice job.

13. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Very nice, and congratulations on finishing!
    I'd request more info on how you set up the meter to show HD activity. Pretty Please? With Sugar on Top?

14. Godric

Godric What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the positive replies :)

I made the HDD activity meter with a quite simple resistance between the HDD led line and the meter, a 10 Kohm. Your sugar ;)

15. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

i like it man, do you have any close up shots of the front it looks cool !