1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 cores? 4 cores? or as many as possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaveVader, 15 Jan 2008.

1. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Been thinking about going with Intel for the past few weeks (and also nVidia when I have the funds) as AMD/ATi just don't cut the mustard.

I play games on the rig in my sig and I like it. The thing is, however much I upgrade, I know there is better hardware out there. I'm asking if I should go for the Q6600 G0 SLACR or a Core2Duo (and if so, which one) I use my PC for gaming mainly, a bit of Photoshop and general useage.
    I have my eye on a motherboard for when I make the upgrade but will most certainly ask your opinion.

Thanks in adavnce.

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Get yourself a Q6600 G0 stepping (as you said) and a 8800GT if you want good performance without breaking the bank. :thumb:

3. mongoze

mongoze I have a Dremel

I've been wondering about the same thing. (Q6600 2,4GHz vs E6850 3,0GHz)

I've heard that a quad core is better at running more programs at ones, but i'm no expert so I don't konw

4. DaveVader

just as I thought. Time to get me a job!

Whats the performance difference between the 8800GT and the 8800GTS. Theyre on the same chip with relatively similar clock speeds and not a large amount of difference of price between them. The difference I can see is stream processes.
    and on paper my card should be better but isn't. Damn ATi

Last edited: 15 Jan 2008
  5. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:confused: In almost all consumers PCs quad-core will be largely wasted as 2-3 cores will be sitting idle for the vast majority of the time. However they are cheap now so if you want a little overkill (or tend to run multiple demanding apps) then go for it. Intel Core2 based CPUs o/c like mad so cache is the main factor, 1333FSB gives little boost and may even hold back your o/c too. For most people a faster clocked dual-core is easily preferable to a slower clocked quad-core, should run a fair bit cooler too. As for the 8800GT_512MB vs 8800GTS_512MB the GTS is a smidge faster but costs a fair bit more, but with 8800GT is short supply and bloated prices it may not cost you much extra. Just make sure if you get a GTS that it's the 512MB version.

6. DaveVader

thanks Austin! Looks like I will be investing in a Q6600 sometime soon, probably with the AC Freezer 7 Pro. I have the AMD version at the moment and it works well, I think I need better airflow within my case though, been looking at the Antec P182 as a replacement although I would have to cut me a side window.
    Thanks for the responses guys, anyone wanna lend me a couple of hundred quid?