1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thermaltake PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sbarts, 17 Jan 2008.

1. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of the Thermaltake PSU's. I'm looking at getting one to replace my no name PSU which I'm affraid will fry my computer. I really don't want to spend large sums of money, as my wife doesn't know i'm buying it!! and the 420W Thermaltake is £30 on Amazon including del. I just want to make sure i'm not replacing one cr*p PSU for another.

Thanks

2. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

They're far from 'cutting edge' PSU's... but they're perfectly acceptable (in my opinion) for use in a standard desktop system/for those on a budget :thumb:

I'd shop around though. Don't just accept that the £30 Amazon are asking, is the best price.
    That said... you can get it with FREE delivery from Amazon, so that has to be taken into account as well :idea:

3. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Seasonics are really good and aren't either priced too high. Take a look at them, too. :thumb:

4. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your help. Now to secretly buy it and fit it!!

5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

HAHAHA!
    Don't worry bro, I feel your pain!

6. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Don't waste your money on the "purepower 430" or whatever. 18a is not exactly something to brag about.

I suggest a Corsair VX 450. It's not really a lot more, but it's way, way better.

7. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

They're at least twice the cost for same wattage.

I used a Thermaltake 430w on both my sons and now ex's system and they were fine, but on a higher end system, I would spend the extra money for something better.

8. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 What's a Dremel?

I have a 750W Thermaltake with modular cables. It's very quiet and dead on accurate. Efficiency is spec'd at greater than 80%, which means that efficiency is top notch compared to everything else out there. I like mine a lot.

9. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

is that the toughpower from thermaltake because i have the same than it is a realy great looking psu and great preformance as well. but diddent you have trouble conecting the 8 pins cpu cabel in to the psu? i hade the cut one of the clips off before it can fit in.

thanks, julian

10. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

Hi

I wouldn't class my PC as a high end system but here are the specs. E6320 @ 2.4Ghz, 2Gbs DDR2, 8800GTS 320, 320Gb HD, 16x DVDR and a firewire card. I believe that a 430W PSU should be up to the job??

11. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Yeah a good brand 430w would do the job I think. The recommended minimum PSU for that graphics card is 400w, however even Nvidia support say on there forums a 450-500w would be much more stable. I ran a 430w no-name brand when I first installed my 8800GT 512mb, and it wouldn't even load properly, everything ran at around 5fps, and the screen had pixel errors everywhere. I brought a Corsair hx520w the day after and I've never had a problem since!

12. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

13. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 What's a Dremel?

Yes it is, and no, I didn't have a problem with it.

14. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

Thanks all. I've got a week till pay day so that gives me time to keep looking.

15. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

It's not the wattage, it's the amperage that counts. That thermaltrash has 18a on the 12v rails, is of dubious quality, and not worth your consideration. It's not the same as the Toughpower either, which is made by a different OEM, and is a great psu. Not your pricerange.

The silverpower recommended by mutznutz is also not good; it's one of the crappy Solytech units. Solytech is a division of Deer psu's, which are pretty terrible in quality, let alone living up to their claims, or providing decent power.

My suggestion is with the VX 450, an Akasa psu between 400 and 500w, or a Seasonic S12-II 380w.

16. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

+1 for the corsair VX range.
    I got the VX550, runs the system in my sig beautifully.