1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headset?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by willowthewhite, 21 Jan 2008.

1. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

I'm looking for recomendations for a headset for gaming, but want to be able to have the game sounds coming out of my surrond sound speakers and speech through the headset (thinking single earphone) if this is possible? I don't have a separate sound card so using onboard audio, not to concerned with quality, so the cheaper the better.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2008
  2. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

I was thinking the same a little while back but not sure if it's possible with just one sound device.

Or even two for that matter.

I'll be interested in any replies.

3. Jackypoos

Jackypoos Will it blend?

I think you can only do that if you have seperate devices i.e. 2 soundcards. If you have a USB or bluetooth headset, you should be able to set the programs to an output. LIke have music through onboard or whatnot, and the speech program through the usb or bluetooth device.

the thread that I stole the thoughts from :dremel:

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'm pretty sure you can't do that using a single sound card. You simply can't tell it to output voicechat through the headphones and music through the speakers if they are both hooked to the same physical output. Two soundcards is the way to go.

5. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

That's not what I wanted to here, as I really only have one option for a sound card and that's over £100 (asus xonar).
    Would the X-box 360 wirless headset work with a pc as this works how I want on the 360?
    Failing that would a usb headset bypass the soundcard input/ouputs?

6. Jackypoos

Jackypoos Will it blend?

You can Buy a wire dongle thing for the 360 headset so I'd assume so. Same with the USB Headset I think. I think it probably depends on the Voice thing you use too, thats my Guess =]

Receiver - though I think you can only get drivers for vista : /

7. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

What about getting an earpiece headset that uses the separate 3.5mm jacks for sound and mic and just plug the mics jack in to the mic input on your existing sound card, this way the sound still goes to your speakers?

Maybe you could get one that clips onto your ear that you could remove the speaker part from so the sound from your speakers can get to your ear easier?

Maybe you could get a desktop mike with a long flexible neck and mount it in a convenient position?

8. MaZ

MaZ "Aye, me bottle of scrumpy!"

If the voice app you're using allows device selection, you should be able to do this using a USB headset (they should identify themselves as a separate sound device from your souncard). I know a couple of people using a setup like this and as far as I can tell it works fine as long as the programs you use support device selection :)

9. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

As long as the software and games allow choosing of output device: one USB headset + one sound card will do the trick