1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheelchair aid?

Discussion in 'General' started by udjamaflip, 29 Jan 2008.

1. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

Hi all,

My Gran is about to enter hospital for her 2nd leg amputation and will no longer be able to use a regular wheelchair by herself meaning she either needs to get an electric wheelchair or she will end up in a government funded home, she has her own house and is already disabled friendly, I am just trying to get her at least some kind of discount on an electrci wheelchair purchase, I'm wondering if anyone out there too has some disabled relative(s) and has crossed this bridge previously.

Any useful input will be really appreciated, I would mod her current one with a 125cc but apparently she doesn't feel comfortable with that!

Thanks in advance guys, I know some of you must've come across mobility grants or the like...

Andy[1]

2. Renze

Renze What's a Dremel?

You might be able to save money if you buy one 2nd hand. When my grandad passed away we were selling his old mobility scooter and we had a few people interested in it. Its cheaper that buying a new one, if your not worried about the fact that its previous owner has kicked the bucket

Edit: Mod to 125cc, that'd make it more powerful that my first bike :eek:

Last edited: 29 Jan 2008
  3. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

Contact the Red Cross, they offer VERY competative hire agreements.

Other than that if she is reg'd disabled then you can claim the VAT back on any mobility purchase

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Assuming of course your in the uk?

5. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

6. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

I am UK based...forgot to mention that! :) You know how/who I need to contact to re-claim VAT on those purchases?

7. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

aha, You need to ring HM Customs & Excise on 0845 010 9000 to ask for a "VAT Declaration Form", you then take this with you and present it when your purchase

AFAIK, most mobility shops can handle this for you and remove the vat on purchase so you don't have to claim it back at a later date, She can also get VAT off of anything which will improve her condition, beds, bedding, tools etc etc

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Do they have Lions clubs or other charitiable organizations over there? I know that is somthing our local Lions club will help with. You might talk to the Social Worker at the hospital and see what they recommend.

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Check the Rotary Club, but my stepfather bought a small one for about £300 when he was (albeit temporarily) disabled from spinal cancer/

10. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Ebay UK had some interesting results. Im not sure what the pound translates into the dollar, but eh. Seems cheap.

:)