1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Watercooling ram

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kbn, 29 Jan 2008.

1. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

I decided start using my watercooling again. I havent used it for over a year, but when playing games like crysis my graphics card is far too noisy and is the main reson. Im using a x850XTPE, 4200+ dual core cpu and dfi nf4 motherboard.

this is my old gpu waterlock, made by me. It was not particually good... although at the time it worked.. I now have a maze4 to replace it.
    http://jellard.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wc/gpub.jpg

Here is my current plan. I will have two loops that share the same radiator. The first is a D4 pump, the cpu block to the left, and the maze4.
    The second loop will be a low flowrate one, using a automotive screenwash pump, at low voltage and possibly intermitant - I realise they are not continusly rated! but I do have one spare. This loop will cool the graphics ram and possibly the main ram (still thinking about design!).

this is one of the gpu ram blocks that I have finnished,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am also thinking about the ram sticks, but I will play with a few ideas first, possibly using 2mm brass pipe I just bought :)

Radiators are going to be outside case this time, below the desk. Using 3x 120mm fans
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Jan 2008
  2. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

I have worked out a good way to do this but it would take a lot of time to make.

4mm thick copper bar, cut into 22mmx10mm. This is the size of the memory chips. Then I drill 2mm holes - 2 holes along the lengh and 4 holes across. I block up the unneeded holes and connect each chip together with 2mm brass tube soldered.

Im not sure if this is a good idea. It could take a long time and quite a few broken drill bits..

Another easyer way would be if I press some 2mm steel bar into the copper to deform it, I could then solder the brass tube into to the copper.

3. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

It does look like an interesting idea, but is it really worth the trouble? Video memory doesn't exactly get hot, and tiny little heatsinks will cool them things off with only the gentlest breeze through the case.