1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Injuries While Modding

Discussion in 'Modding' started by 500mph, 1 Feb 2008.

1. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

They are Harley Davidson safety glasses. but there was a 1/4"-1/2" gap under my eye due to the glasses slipping down a little since they weren't on the right setting.
    Here they are. They are the ones with the brownish tint to them

Also, I was using the Belt sander(You can see it in my worklog), So what I think happened is when I was sanding the edge of a piece of plexi, a small chip of the plexi caught on the wheel, traveled around, hit the plexi that I was sanding, bounced off of that into my eye.
    That sounds like a long run-on sentence that is hard to figure out. Want a diagram?

2. Burned_Alive

Burned_Alive What's a Dremel?

Put a stanley knife straight through one of my fingers down to the bone, in true modding fashion i just wrapped it up in electrical tape until it healed. Nice little scar there now too.

3. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Not modding but recent injury.
    Drilled into the first joints of the 2 main sign language fingers (the 2 car drivers use for signing) using a cross head screw driver bit.
    other then that I picked up a soldering iron by the wrong end and burnt my palm(the same one a ripped open climbing a fence 20 years ago)

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

dont get battery acid in your cuts!! it hurts alot!

that happened to me in the summer. at work i had to take a tire to the tire shope to get a new one. so i go to the back of the truck to take it out of the box. when i take it out it slips out of my hand and the rim takes a big chunk of skin off my wrist. OUCH!!! bring the tire in and go back to work while blood and starting to come out. it just skinned it but it enough so it bled. and it was a pretty good spot. and it hurt alot.

so i go to work and put on bandaid. then work on the riding lawnmower. i need to take battery out so ive done that. and by now ive replaced the badndaid already and it came off again so i left it off. so the battery was out and i was doin stuff under the hood thing and one of the wires that connects to the battery terminal goes up againt my cut thing. OWW!!!!!!!!!!!! @#$$@$#%$@#$ that hurt! it sure burned for a long time.

5. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Keep a roll of eletrical insulation tape in the first aid box.Much better that plasters/bandaids

6. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

Agreed.
    I think there was a study that showed adhesives healed wounds better

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

i was gonna use duct tape but they said no. lol

8. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Electricians tape isn't bad; but you don't want to use duct tape. Superglue is also good.

9. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

Superglue is good. I just cant stand the feel of it though.
    My superglued wounds always turn red...

10. Monkey Sandwich...

Monkey Sandwich... I just ate one...

Its only a fleshwound!!?!

Broke a nail in half, burned a long scar into my arm, burned my hands a lot, sliced my fingertips so many times my fingerprints look like something Picasso came up with, electrocuted myself 3 times (funny how time seems to speed up when you're getting electrocuted, ain't it?), got melted plastic all over my hand(BURNS!!!), and successfully sliced my fingers up in a 120mm high speed blower fan... the latter being a major ego smiter. All in all, not a bad list, probly the most painful was the melted plastic... makes hideous blisters. Oh, and nt really an injury, but goes along with the radiation, I was helping my dad weld something, and I was holding it, and the electricity from the welder surged into the metal and I could feel it going up my arms... freaky, and numbing, but not painful or unhealty... I hope...

11. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

well, so far, so good. The first time i started using the dremel i quickly realised to stand to the side of the cutting disk. Those high-speed molten plastic projectiles really do get the point across :D

Oh, and i burnt my hand slightly when i was in too much of a hurry cutting threadwire. I guess gloves to hold the metal i'm cutting is no over-the-top luxury :duh:

12. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

For the above that's why I buy the more expensive Dremel cutting wheels those cheap ones not only hurt but break easy and scatter freakin everywhere, damned devils cut moi a few times.

13. bwuggley5

bwuggley5 What's a Dremel?

erm...

...using a pair of wire cutters to cut something, not wire...something about not using them for this job did occur to me but...a half of a side of a cutter snapped off and missed my eye 25mm...think about it...that piece was sharp...I have begun wearing the safety glasses I bought for woodworking.
    ...got wacked by a not so long ago switched off monitor...boof! that was a shock!
    ...I can't think of any more, and I really don't want to...there have been some nasty accidents reported and just hope I can take heed of them so to avoid any of them. I know I have not been safe using tools so I hope some of this is getting into me now.

14. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I ground a piece of steel bar off of something else but didn't go fully through it. I hit it with the hammer and it pinged up and the fresh sharp edge (it was cut @45 degrees so the end was also very pointy) hit me neatly along my nose. The point was mere mm from my eye! Made quite a deep gash.
    Was fiddling with an some sort of RPG launcher...'what does this catch do'....fwping. It was spring loaded and still compressed. This thing shot forwards...The little bar sticking out the edge to pull the slide back with simply hit my finger and cut it all the way down and removed my finger nail.
    Pressure washing mud off the paving...the mains cord isn't very long so need an extension lead that needs moving occasionally. water + mains = ouch.
    Infact just sunday slipped with the hacksaw and removed small flap of skin from under the tip of finger.

15. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Yeah, sounds like you were using safety glasses...
    http://www.safetyoffice.uwaterloo.ca/hse/ppe/ppe_eye.htm
    Honestly, after hearing your story, I think it's time we all invested in safety goggles or the polycarbonate faceshields -- cause I've had the same happen with the glasses. :wallbash:

Aside from the regular 'modding melee' accidents, I think the most interesting one happened when I had a flying x-acto knife, twirling in the air, caught me in the thumb. Carved my thumb up like the Debian logo, at least half an inch deep. That, and you should have seen me dance when I had a hot shard of cut metal go down my shirt. :D

16. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

working as tech director in the theater, I got zapped when a new kid threw the main power switch to find out what it did. Good thing the ladder had rubber feet, because as it was my left arm went completely numb for about forty minutes. Couldn't move it at all.

The other one was while holding a piece of wood while my boss used a skill saw. We had it laid out on a wooden table with a metal band around the edge. The saw hit the table, took a few dozen shards of white-hot aluminum and then sprayed them across the fingers and knuckles of my left hand. Luckily, the burns stopped the pain after a few seconds. At least, the pain stopped until I had to spend about half an hour extracting the shards.

SAFETY GLOVES!

17. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Ive had it happen several times with both table saw and jigsaw
    Its a shock when splinters manage to bypass both the tools shield and the safety glasses.:eyebrow::eyebrow::waah::waah:

18. Teyber

Teyber ******

almost went blind this december. Was working on phase change, something exploded and spit acid and oil into my eyes. have color damage in one eye... not to bad, but i think its permanent. in same incident almost asphyxiated and died because the gas that escaped on what i was working on had displaced all the oxygen in the garage. I almost passed out, luckily i found a way to kick the door open and lie down on the ground outside while i regained consciousness. had my verticle/horizontal bandsaw drop down on my fingers (it was off luckily), a blade attached to lots of weight from a good height hurts wonderfuly. Filed my hands so many times while filing, burned many times... lol

19. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

*knock on wood*

I never hurt myself too badly. Punctures here, minor cuts there, solder burns every now and then, glue gun burns, superglued myself to myself, bruises, locking plier pinches, etc.

Face shields are meant to be worn WITH glasses or goggles, don't forget that. I even wear additional eyewear under my Uvex face shield which is supposed to be all-encompassing.

Glasses are meant for light duty impact protection. Goggles are meant for small particulate matter protection. Face shields are meant for face protection and small particle protection if you use glasses instead of goggles.

NEVER trust the shields on power tools unless they are very well designed. More often than not they only deflect a fraction of projected debris.

I got scared into wearing eye protection and properly clamping work a long time ago. I sheared a 1/2" drill bit in half in a drill press b/c I unclamped the pieces, the bit got stuck, and then I removed and reinserted the bit still attached to the workpieces. The bit ejected and slugged me in the chest like a missile.

I injured myself other times too. Burned/froze two finger tips with liquid nitrogen. NOT fun. Same thing happens as when a dermatologist removes a wart/blemish - the skin turns white, condenses, rexpands, and you lose all feeling until you lose those skin layers and heal.

20. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

I worked on a lathe without protection glasses :duh: and then a small piece of metal flew right into my eye, it hurted like **** for 3 days but then it was ok. since then I always wear protection glasses.

and your parent still let you work with that :eeek: ????