1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Modding Sound Sensitive Unit...?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Naja002, 4 Feb 2008.

1. Naja002

Naja002 What's a Dremel?

Hi Everybody,

I am wanting to do a minor mod to one of these:

Sound Activated Control Unit for Cold Cathodes

Basically, I just want to extend the Mic, and sensitivity adjustment, and wire the on/off/flash switch to a rocker switch---all for easier access/enhanced performance (mic).

Here's some clickable pix--I left them full size:

[​IMG]

Senitivity Switch-Top Left
    Mic-Bottom Left
    On/off/flash-bottom right-ish

[​IMG]

Unit flipped and labeled

[​IMG]

Unit flipped unlabeled

Here's the plan on the Mic: unsolder the 2 pins, then solder 2 wires onto the board and to each of the pins. That should work fine, right?

Same basic plan on the sensitivity adjustment, except 3 pins, 3 wires. Good, right?

I can basically do the same for the on/off/flash, except I just need to remove the current switch and determine the wire hook up on the rocker, right? What kind of switch do I need? Not sure on the double-throw and all that....

Apologies, but electronics are my weak point. Any help is Greatly Appreaciated!

Thanx! :thumb:

Last edited: 4 Feb 2008
  2. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Yes.
    Yes.
    Right.

as long as you're just extending the mic and sensitivity, adding the wire should be fine.
    Now you can wire up a rocker switch, I'm not sure how, I'll let someone with better technical know-how dictate that.

3. Naja002

Naja002 What's a Dremel?

Hi 500mph,

Thank You for the confirmation. I extended the mic with NPs. It did seem to effect the sensitivity a bit--just needed to set it higher for the same effect/result. I'm not sure if I am going to extend the sensitivity adjustment or not. Extending it wouldn't be a problem--its the mounting it somewhere that is the issue. The way its built--it wouldn't be very easy to mount securely and without worrying about shorting it.

Anybody know if I can just wire up a potentiometer? I have several, wouldn't be a problem, except they are 2 wire and the sensitivity adjustment appears to be 3 wire. I could pick one up at radio shack, if needed.

The on/off/flash switch I don't really understand. It appears to be: 2 mounting pins + 8 electrical pins. 6 electrical pins would make sense to me, but with 8--I'm a bit lost---Help! :duh: I just want to wire it up to a rocker on the front panel....:thumb:

I'm willing to do the leg work--just need the know-how.....:dremel:

TIA :rock:

4. Naja002

Naja002 What's a Dremel?

Hi Everybody,

I'm still needing help with this.....Can't be that hard. I understand the basics--just not the details. One of you Electronics Gurus can do this in your sleep---help a fella out here! :D

4 forums, over +150 views total and 1 response.

Doesn't have to be a "rocker" type switch--I'll get what I need, but what do I need in a 3-setting switch? Double-pole/double-throw....?

What are the 8 pins for? 2 on one side, space, 6 more in 2 rows of 3. Off/Flash/On in that order. I need to get this done and would be happy to toss up a "tutorial" for future reference for others.....:thumb:

Any individual details would be helpful.....!

I don't really want to start soldering wires to try to figure out what does what. I'd prefer a little bit more info going in.....

Help!

:rock:

5. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

You probably need a single or double pole but double throw (on-off-on).
    Get a multimeter on that current one and it shouldn't be too difficult to figure it out. It looks like a couple of the pins have been soldered together in the pic, so perhaps not all of the connections are being used.

6. Naja002

Naja002 What's a Dremel?

Hi Cinnander,

Thank You! :thumb: I've looked at it and looked at it, but just now noticed somethings....here's some more clickable pix:

[​IMG]

That's the order I refer to the pins.

[​IMG]

Labelled

[​IMG]

Unlabelled

Pins 1,2,3,4 & 8 are all wired to the 12v incoming current. That leaves pins 4,5 & 6--3-pins hehehehehe.....:clap:

I think I can get it from here. "Think" being the keyword, of course! :wallbash:

Now I just have to come up with the right switch! Anybody know for sure....or do I need to start another thread....? :sigh:

Last edited: 7 Feb 2008
  7. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Single pole, double throw should do it (double pole if you want to switch Ground as well) - enables you do divert power to 'flash', 'on' or leave it in the centre at 'off'. The doubled up pin arrangement may be to allow the switch to handle higher current, or it may have just been easier to design the PCB like that.
    Code:

,----o ON              ----o                     ----o
    12V o---'             12V o---.                12V o ---        (OFF)
              ----o                '----o FLASH               ----o 

8. Naja002

Naja002 What's a Dremel?

Hi Cinnander,

Thanx for sticking with me here. I'll put some research into the double-pole/double-throw and see if that should do it.

For now, I've got the Flash sorted out on the board. On/off should be/are No-Brainers! Wiring it up to the front panel switch is another story though....I should be able to sort that out though....

First things first:

Tear it a part and see how it works! :D If ya break it--spend $6 and get a new one! :clap:

[​IMG]

Wiring the pin configuration for Flash is labelled in the clickable pic below:

[​IMG]

2 to 3 and 6 to 7 and you got FLASH, baby! :rock:

Now I've just got to get a switch! :naughty:

Any chance that I can wire it up to 2 rockers....? 1 for on/off 2nd one for on/flash...Or...off/flash...?

Mucho Thanx! Cinnander! :thumb:

9. Naja002

Naja002 What's a Dremel?

Ok, I've got it wired up to 2 individual rockers....1 for on/off, the other for off/flash. I'll see about getting a tutorial put together....having to open up the case to switch to on or flash is an unnecessary hassle. I think a few more folks might use these if the operation was more user friendly.....! :rock:

Got it!

:clap::clap::clap: