1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling laing ddc 18W

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rambo, 6 Feb 2008.

1. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

hello, i just instaled the laing ddc 18W pump and its my first watercooling pump and it makes a buzzing noise is this normal?(it is mounted on bubble foam) because i can serius hear it from out of my case. setup:
    Danger Den MC-TDX Intel 775 Block
    Thermochill PA120.2
    XSPC 1/2" Clear tubing
    EK-DDC X-RES 140
    Laing DDC 18w Pump

thanks, rambo

Last edited: 7 Feb 2008
  2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Is the pump itself buzzing, or is it your case?
    If its the latter, simply decoupling it with the case would sort it, like some gel or foam

3. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

It could be that your loop isn't fully bled yet, as even the tiniest of air bubbles can make pumps act up. Also, if you have an aftermarket top then insufficient tightness on the screws can also make pumps louder than usual. Pump vibrations can be gotten rid of pretty easily, just put it on some foam or something like Petra's Gel Stuff.

4. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Make sure you get air around the base of the pump as they can get hot,you can buy a rubber damping kit for £5 off that works well with the pump.

5. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

hello, thanks for the reply's but it have a EK 140 top for my pump and it is intaled ad the shop were i bought it and it is sitting on bubble foam. Also the top (reservoir) is 3/4 full. And when I shut down my computer i see tiny bubbles in the hoses is this normal? setup:
    Danger Den MC-TDX Intel 775 Block
    Thermochill PA120.2
    XSPC 1/2" Clear tubing
    EK-DDC X-RES 140
    Laing DDC 18w Pump

thanks, rambo

6. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Just keep running your setup and the bubbles should settle down soon,you can tip your case from side to side to make sure there are no bubbles in the rad and so on.

7. sheninat0r

Yep, it's the bubbles; bubbles hurt cooling performance and make pumps noisy. Just let it run for a few hours nonstop, and try moving your case around and tilting it to get the bubbles out of the blocks and rad.

8. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

hello it is a bit more silent now is whas for moost of the part the mounting to the case. A other question is the heat that the pump generates normal the bottem is pretty warm.

thanks, rambo

9. MaZ

MaZ "Aye, me bottle of scrumpy!"

Yeah the heat is normal. If you can't stand the noise of the pump mounted directly to the case, try & find a way of mounting it where you're not covering the entire bottom of the pump (like sitting it on a single big block of foam - bad idea because it'll just trap heat, theres a pic somewhere I've seen of someone's laing ddc that was sat on a block of petras gel stuff and actually managed to get so hot it melted through it :eyebrow: ). I've got mine mounted directly to the case with some pressure on the screws; it's transmitting most of the heat into the case itself to dissipate, but the downside is it makes more noise than mounting with rubber standoff jobbies :(

10. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

11. MaZ

MaZ "Aye, me bottle of scrumpy!"

12. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

thanks guy's but what those it do except from letting it hang horizontale insted of verticale?

13. sheninat0r

Instead of mounting the pump on a flat piece of foam or Gel Stuff, you could always cut it up so that there's maybe a piece under each corner, letting the heat dissipate below it and reducing vibrations. It wouldn't be too secure though, unless you screwed the pump into the case through the foam... which would let some of the vibrations be transferred through the screws, which is what the foam should be preventing.

14. tomshawn

tomshawn What's a Dremel?

when I read about pump making that noise I remember the part of Finding Nemo movie - remember that part in aquarium? "bubbles, bubbles!!! my bubbles..." :D

15. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

hey it wear indeed bubbles i tried to get every thing out of it and it is almoost silent.

THANKS

Tags: