1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Can I upgrade the flash memory in my mp3 player?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Porkins' Wingman, 23 Feb 2008.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I've got a Creative Zen V+ mp3 player, great little thing, but only has 4gb flash mem. Anyone have any experience of modding these type of mp3 players. Is it at all possible to take out the physical memory and put in some more, but of greater capacity?

Thanks.

2. smaugy

smaugy What's a Dremel?

If the solder is underneath the chip (I think called "ball grid array" style), like the memory on my TomTom 520, then you have no chance of re-soldering it.

For regular SMT, desoldering stations can be very expensive unless you DIY your own:
    http://dailydiy.com/2008/02/15/how-to-smt-desoldering-station/

I have a gas soldering iron - the blow torch/heat blower attachment was very effective at removing some very small wifi antenna test connectors a while back, but I don't know how effective it would be for doing both sides of an average-size flash chip - levering one melted side might accidentally lift some pads.

Porkins' Wingman likes this.
  3. [<x>] Kiyusoma

[<x>] Kiyusoma Deus Ex Machina

that's provided the os/filesystem on the player will support the additional memory. You might have a chance if there are the same models only with bigger flash.

4. godmonkey

godmonkey What's a Dremel?

I did "upgrade" an old Philips MP3 player once. Had originally picked it up for the GF when we started dating (aww I know so sweet of me LOL!) After about a year the microdrive in it died. So being the curious sort I am I decided to see how hard it would be to fix. The microdrive was in fact quite easy to replace. I even changed it from a 2 gig. to a 4 gig. So far it is still going strong. So in a word, yes it may be possible! But as smaugy pointed out the flash memory chips may be next to impossible to remove or replace. I do recal reading some things about the IPOD Nanos being able to be "upgraded" by pigybacking the extra flash memory on top of the old one. As I recall it only worked to bump the 4 Gb to an 8 Gb. But not from the 8 Gb to anything as the firmware would not recognize the extra memory.

Porkins' Wingman likes this.