1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows in Windows??

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by tangrisser, 10 Mar 2008.

1. tangrisser

tangrisser What's a Dremel?

I've been reading an old article about installing Windows Xp on USB Flash Drives.
    I was previously interested but without a practical reason for me to have one, I never bothered.

Now I need one. But the article I read doesn't seem to deal with PC's without USB Boot support.

Here is my situation.
    -The school PC's BIOS is locked, so turning on the USB Boot is not an option.
    -School currently has Windows 2000

I need a way to boot into USB Mass Storage Device without using anything.
    I'm not sure if the booting from CD or Floppy work. (Anyone have a link for boot disk with USB Support??)

or

Be able to boot Windows within Windows without having to install any additional software.
    Although executables are acceptable. I guess.. HELP!!!

Thnx in Advance

2. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Is there any particular reason you need to run Windows? If you're just trying to get past the school's security restrictions, why not try out a Linux liveCD like Knoppix? Even if you don't know your way around in Linux and don't understand most of the tools bundled with Knoppix, it'll give you a web browser and chat client.

3. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Use a virtual machine?
    Not sure if your able to run VirtualBox or not, I know that VMWare and Virtual PC both require admin rights to install onto the pc.

Or maybe a combination of the above linux boot cd, I would suspect there is a version that is able to run a virtual machine from the usb (virtualbox or vmware only)

4. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

hehehe.. a bit of hacking eh? :)

Windows on USB will kill the flash drive very quickly in heavy usage. it wears out the NAND flash memory (type MLC) very fast, expecially on system with limited RAM. I guess you can call it USB page file trashing.

Knoppix is a faaaaabbulous recommendation :)

I used a version of Knoppix called STD.

If you're really need a Window, a viable solution is CD bootable Windows XP.

Look for a CD-Boot Windows XP ISO called "miniPE²-XT". It's a hacked version with some interesting software. It runs everything from the CD and RAM. Hence can be slow.

I can't tell you where to download. It's a bit on the illegal side, but it's floating on the net.

Don't get suspended or expel... yet even if you did, it's not the end of the world. :)

5. tangrisser

tangrisser What's a Dremel?

I would love to use Linux! ;]
    Sadly, this particular software school has decided to use will not run anything but Windows. And NO alternatives on Linux..
    So, I'm stuck to Windows.
    [The particular PCs w. the software is very limited, and is always full.]

I was thinking more of a portable HDD rather than a USB Flash Drive because if I'm going to install Windows, I might as well have most of my necessity in it.

Anyways, VM wouldn't work unless VM program doesn't require me to install like uTorrent
    [I should just buy a laptop but money won't allow it... :( ]

Last edited: 11 Mar 2008
Tags: