1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics powercolor HD 3850 512mb Temp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matticus, 17 Mar 2008.

1. Matticus

Matticus ...

Does anyone have this card so we can compare temps.

Mine seems overly hot, 48c at idle with the zerotherm cooler on full speed and with low speed (about 7 volts, through my fan speed controller) its 51c, and at load its atleast 15c hotter. And this is which it clocked back from 720 to 670, and 1800 to 1600 for powersaving/heat saving, untill I get into a game.

Both GPUZ 0.1.7 which is the newest and the latest version of pc wizard 2008 both report these temps.

I am sure it never got this hot before, I remember pc wizard saying in the low 30s and load temp in the 50s, and for some reason it has just started doing it, the cooler seems warm-hot to the touch aswell, so I assume its not just funky software readings.

If anyone can offer any advice or put my mind at ease that would be cool.:D

Last edited: 18 Mar 2008
  2. Matticus

Matticus ...

Well im going to have to get a new cooler anyway, as I just took the card out to look at seating, and one of the screws for mounting the cooler came off when in touched it to pull out the card.

I assume that could the be reason for high temps, bad contact because the screw was snapped inside.

So atm its only being held down by 3, and because I knocked it off, its not being pulled down on that corner at all.
    Bummer

3. byronrock

byronrock What's a HighK dielectric material?

well my 3850 in idle is around 40c. and at full load its max temp is 60º . at least this mark rivatunner, i think that this temps are totally normal for my card beacuse just used one pci slot for the cooler and the card, but your card has a better heatsink and cooler, wich use two slots. In theory your temp should be better than mine, but in the other hand im not overclocking and your card is overclocked.

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

Not sure if I was clear about the overclocking, the powercolors default speeds are 720 and 1800, but I clocked the card back down to 3850 defaults (668, 1600 i think) to save energy and heat.

So I have 3 settings on rivatuner, it boots into 670/1600, then with a launcher I set it to powercolor defaults, then when I launch crysis/cod4/graw2 it clocks up to 790/2100.

But the idle temps I was reporting was for 670/1600, so with a better cooler and the same speeds as yours byronrock, I would of thought I would get lower temps.

But like I said, the cooler is borked in the mounting departments.

I have contacted powercolor to see if they could send me a mounting screw.

I'm thinking of water cooling soon anyway, so its not really too big of a deal, just a bit of a bugger.

5. Matticus

Matticus ...

Any chance the temp probe is messed up?

The cooler does feel hot to the touch though, even the heatpipes right next to the core.

Today I took off the screw opposite to the one that popped off because I was worried it would be pulling it down funny and causing it to heat up on one edge, and as I did, that screw snapped.

Last edited: 18 Mar 2008
  6. Matticus

Matticus ...

I am pretty annoyed because obviously the first screw was snapped inside, and it must have been like this since I got it, and then the second screw snaps when I try and help the situation, the screws must be made out of the worst type of metal you can buy.

I certainly wont be buying any zerotherm coolers or powercolor cards anytime soon.

Does anyone think that overclockers would allow an RMA, because the card has been "modified" although the only modification was to stop the card from messing up because of the original fault?

EDIT: Just thought I would show you my testing to see if I could actually get the card under 40c

This is what it took to get it to a measly 36c, when the card is UNDERCLOCKED to 650 and 1600

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know its dark in there, but I unplugged my uv cathodes to plug in those fans because I couldnt be bothered to "find" another molex that I have tidied away.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2008
  7. Matticus

Matticus ...

Well im RMAing it, which means no PC for a while :(

8. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Actually, those temps you've got there are completely normal for graphics cards.

FYI, my Geforce FX5500 is very mildly OC'd and runs 80C idle (well, on stock it's 75C idle), and that isn't even super bad.

9. byronrock

byronrock What's a HighK dielectric material?

well, is so bad that insignificant things became our life so difficult... :duh:
    the heat dissipation will be better without a screw between ur card and the heatpipe
    good look with the RMA