Vista SP1 is available

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thefriscokid, 18 Mar 2008.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I have the same one now. :)

2. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

so what exactly are the major noticible changes? i have it installed and havnt noticed a single thing!

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

try moving or deleting a file. Now you don't have to wait several seconds for the "moving file"-box to disappear.

I have heard that there is some improvement on network transfer speeds as well, but I haven't tested this, as my NAS is to damn slow.

And I'm sure there is lots of bug fixes and driver updates.

If you didn't have any problems before SP1, then there is no reason why you should notice anything ;)

4. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Refuses to download it, just DLing now from the dirrect link should be done in about 20 mins, then we'll see if it will let me install it, of course if i still have the Windows Update problem I will have to re-install Vista completely :(

EDIT:Just tried to install... and yup, you guessed it... Error...

Gonna try a few of the "fixes" they suggest, including restarting the machine and see what happens

Last edited: 19 Mar 2008
  5. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Got it all installed now, running lovely, as usual! Am I the only person has, in no word of a lie, a faultless installation of Vista?

Also, system properties now recognises the full 4.0GB of RAM, does that mean it will actually make use of it all?

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

No, it'll use exactly the same amount of memory as before, it just means that its reporting how much RAM you have, rather than how much you can actually use.

Get 64-bit. :p

7. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

I will, it's just that my computer is working so very well, is stable, and runs games tip top at the moment, that I'm scared of going to 64bit and being dissappointed... Not to mention the effort of a reinstall....

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

64bit is fine, seriously. Though I agree that it may not be worth the effort.
    I would switch but for bloody Microsoft being lazy about drivers for their own products.

An yes, mine says it has the full 4GB now, but it shows at about 3.3GB

9. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 What's a Dremel?

Installed it, no problems so far. 3DMark06 score is about the same.

10. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

Downloading now. My DSL's a bit slow, though...I'm sorely tempted to borrow the neighbor's wireless for a few minutes to speed things up. If I only lived twenty miles west of here, I'd have fiber and this wouldn't be a problem...

11. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Well, it's faultless on my new ultraportable laptop. (pre-installed no less! first time i've ever seen a pre-built system i haven't wanted to nuke and re-install)

My main PC is another matter though, more unstable than a drunken unicyclist in an earthquake with vista (even with nothing installed outside the vista DVD, not even drivers) but rock stable in XP 64bit :confused:

If it's not 64bit Vista then no. I've read they just tweaked it so instead of displaying usable system memory, it displays physically present memory instead

12. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Nope, had it pre-installed courtesy of dell and once I got rid of all the **** they put on it, it was fine :)

Had it 2 months and had 1 blue screen of death but thats all (though thats more than id have had in xp). It doesn't worry me at all and the benefits and shineyness outweight the 1 tiem I had to spend 2 minutes restarting.

SP1 installed in about 10 minutes and had downloaded in about 5 - so far having no problems at all :)