looking for a decent 2.5in HDD IDE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burnout21, 20 Mar 2008.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i recently got one of these

and i am looking for a decent sized 2.5in IDE HDD, the Western Digital Scorpio's are interesting but i want real value for money on capacity.

ideally a 160GB or bigger for the smallest amount of cash! plan is to upgrade the HDD in my lappy and use its 60GB drive in the external as a traveling backup. :D

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ive owned two Hitachi Travelstars and never had a problem - what are you after, reliability, speed, cost?

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

speed isn't really an issue, 5400RPM would be ok, and as its IDE connection only that solves that issue, lol!

what i am looking for is best bang for buck, and good trade off between 100GB+ for my money.

I have a little IBM Hitachi Travelstar (12GB) in the external right now, had it for years never gone wrong, however storage capacity needs to grow.

*EDIT* just pulled my lappys HDD out too find its a Hitachi Travelstar 4200RPM 60GB PATA model. this drive will go in an external caddy.

so new drive will go in the lappy.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2008
  5. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

It might be more than you're willing to pay for one, but @ £55.70 / £65.45... I reckon this 250GB WD Scorpio offers damned good VFM :clap:

If £65 is a bit rich for ya... hows about a 160GB Seagate Momentus 5400.2 @ £35.61 / £41.84 :idea:

Those links/prices assume you're in the UK of course (I forget quickly)!?

6. DarkOne42

DarkOne42 How many PC's do you have?

I have a fast 2.5" in the laptop 80Gb and for additional storage (films/movies) a 160Gb external 2.5", which is nice and small.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Back again, didn't see a point in starting a new thread.

Currently i've got a WD 160Gb believe its a 7200 RPM model, and well its great however i have been thinking of swapping it out for an SSD.

Right now there seems to be two price ranges, stupidly expensive and too cheap to believe!

soon scan will be selling OCZ 30GB SSD for £60

now i dont need much more than 30GB on my laptop as i keep everything on an external and DVD-RW as its a UNI work laptop, keeps me focused on work rather than anything else.

power usage shouldn't be that much difference over the mechanical HDD, but its the approved load speeds that interest me. Like booting into windows with a minute, or at least quicker than at the moment.

So i am looking for the best value vs speed in a SSD drive right now.