1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.5 HD Choice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dev25, 9 Apr 2008.

1. Dev25

Dev25 What's a Dremel?

Hello,

In a dilemma here on what to buy, i am soon to buy a 250GB for my ps3 (SATA, 2,5) and i have 2 choices, my aim is to have a 250Gb in the ps3 and a portable 40gb (already have another ext.)

1- is to buy a WD Scorpio and then an ICY Box Enclosure (LINK)

2-Is to buy the WD Passport which is basically a Scorpio inside and then take it out of the case and after use the case to put the ps3's 40gb HD

Is it that hard to take the drive out of the passport as with my other ones one was easy and the other was not,

2. shadow12

shadow12 I lie

which ever is cheaper if technically they are the same and providing you can get the hard drive out.

3. Dev25

Dev25 What's a Dremel?

they both are like 99p apart so no biggie der

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well, does the WD Passport of eSATA? because the IcyBox has it, if it's of any value to you.....

5. Dev25

Dev25 What's a Dremel?

not really since i mainly use my 500gb ext, this would be for when i move around... It is always nice to have as some computers have it but then it has to be powered right? if yes then no maybe on my main ext but on a portable drive i think not. So basically its now a) is the passport easy to change the drive... or is the Icy box just better

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i also have a WD Scorpio drive (off Ebay, some crappy Omega case) it is powered via the USB plug: you plug eSATA first, then plug in USB and the USB will only provide power, the eSATA sends and receives data.

IcyBox said it's " USB Bus Powered" so i assume it works the same way as my drive.
    (but most computers i try don't have eSATA :( you also need to set the eSATA sockets to ACHI mode, otherwise you will be required to re-boot everytime you plug it in and take it out

7. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Just get the 2.5" 250GB WD Scorpio, and the Icy Box enclosure.

Are you confident in swapping-out the PS3 drive?
    There's a decent 'how-to' article here (with pics) which you can refer to if needs be ;)