1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding my theater (Doors of Moria)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dbroome, 19 Apr 2008.

1. dbroome

dbroome What's a Dremel?

After seeing Smilodon's post on his apartment door, I had to give it a try myself. I happen to have a double closet door in my theater that would be perfect for replacing, and so I got to work.

Being a Lord of the Rings fan since I was a boy, the doors to the Mines of Moria were the perfect subject. After many hours and a few restarts, here is the result:

[​IMG]

and with the lights on:

[​IMG]

Rather than do a full writeup here, if you are interested in reading more (and you should be, since they come on automatically when it is dark, and open automatically when the right word is spoken in elven :thumb:), I put up a page with probably more info than anyone would want to see.

Thanks Smilodon and others for posting their knowledge of edge-lighting etched plexiglass!

Last edited: 19 Apr 2008
  2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

That's awesome! :thumb:

The voice controlled opening is really nice. And so is the design of the door as well. It's really a perfect design for a door.

Good work! :)

And yeah, white LEDs failing tend to be a problem from time to time. :wallbash:

When taking pictures of white and blue LEDs i recommend you to set the white balance on your camera manually. For some reason most cameras can't handle blue/white LED light very well.

3. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Holy cow that's awesome. Nicely done.

4. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Thats Crazy.
    Crazy Good.

5. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

cool, especially with all the lighting. WoW

6. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Great choice of subjects for the etch. Plus you did an excellent job with finishing it off, dbroome. Would be quite proud to have something like that in my home.

7. dbroome

dbroome What's a Dremel?

Thanks! I have wanted to do that for a lot of years and am very pleased with the results...

8. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Dude! I'm gunna do this in UV marker on a normal closet door so it glows under blacklight! Wee for me!

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

In the light the wood on the rest of the door doesn't fit the theme but with the room lights off and the LED lighting on ... :jawdrop:

Amazing job :clap:

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

nice idea, what happens when theres a power cut? lol!

11. dbroome

dbroome What's a Dremel?

Then my kids can't get out :D

The right side door is held shut with a door stop. I just remove the door stop and then can open both doors.

My original intent on the doors was to do the whole wall in a faux-rock finish, but I was (and am) confident that I couldn't pull that off. So I decided to go for a look that I really like when the LED's are off (polyurethaned cedar) and the lights are on. And still have the ability to turn the lights off to show off the doors...

12. Stonewall78

Stonewall78 What's a Dremel?

That is pretty sweet, I wonder if the wife would let me pull that off...