1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New WD Raptor: VelociRaptor 300GB!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by impar, 21 Apr 2008.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Delighted to see it in a 2.5" FF, though that was really the only option if they wanted anyone to take it seriously as a server drive.

I'll certainly pick one up if they release a single platter (or even a single sided single platter) variant. 300GB is just too much space for an OS drive though IMO. Just depends on how long they take to come out and whether 64GB SSDs have reached a sensible price point.

3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Nice. Won't be getting one though, It'll be far too much money for me!

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    That would be ideal.
    I just use the Raptor for OS and applications and these 74GB are starting to feel crowded.

5. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

think ill be waiting for SSD prices to drop thanks

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Last edited: 21 Apr 2008
  7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

70-ish GB is plenty for me tbh, 300GB puts it far too high for my likings tbh. Stellar performance though, the raptors have needed an update against the newer large drives for a while now. :D

8. Mister_Tad

It should be considerably quieter than most 3.5" drives too. While the measurement numbers don't peg it at loads better than the rest, given the same dB level, the noise created by 2.5" drives is generally less noticeable. Even 15k 2.5" drives have reasonably low-profile noise characteristics.

Would have loved to see a 2.5" 15k raptor tweaked for single-user apps though, ah well. Feasable SSDs can't come soon enough.

9. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Mister_Tad is right - according to one of the reviews I read [forgot which one], the new Velociraptor doesn't have the high-pitched whine of its older siblings.

This drive looks excellent, faster than the old Raptors and the 334GB/platter drives from Samsung and WD.

10. Krikkit

They might make a few changes before it's finished yet _tad, hopefully we'll see a split-stream between Enterprise-orientated and Desktop-orientated drives somewhere.

11. warlord2000ad

warlord2000ad The 20 Year Old Guy

Agreed, the death of mechanical harddrives are nearly here with the lower prices of SSD. Whilst still not that cheap by any means, flash memeory is dropping in price alot year by year.

I won't get the 300GB raptor either, like others i got some decent 7200RPMs now and just waiting for the world of SSD to arrive, then use a 7200RPM for mass backup.

12. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

13. Krikkit

You'll be able to use it in enterprise situations though, which is their aim.

The other thing is that the heatsink looks badass imho, much more exciting than a normal HD. :D

14. Mister_Tad

You wouldn't need the heatsink for cooling, its for ease of mounting more than anything, given that it isn't a standard 2.5" size to fit in laptops or 2.5" bays. I'll take back what I said about WD wanting to be taken seriously in the enterprise sector - there isn't a server out there that will take these due to the non-standard size :rolleyes:

I can't see OEMs making servers with slots to fit these either, the whole idea of 2.5" SAS drives is packing as much punch as you can into a 2U or blade form factor. Making the bays a bit wider is just counter-productive, and any performance advantage these have over other 10k 2.5" parts, the numbers can be made up by simply being able to cram another one or two spindles into a server.

(unless these are the same size as 2.5" SAS drives currently available, in which case - disregard :p, they do look thicker than the 2.5" SAS drives I've played with anyway)

15. nuclear

nuclear What's a Dremel?

they are the same size as the current drives like the seagate savvio so it should fit without the bracket around.
    So you should be able to pack 8 of these little babies in a dl380g5 (or any other servers that uses 2.5" hdd)
    /edit
    the only problem that i might see (i haven't tried yet to put sata drives in sas cage) is the way the power and data connectors are made is a bit different between the two. But hp and etc do sell sata drives for these server so it should fit)

16. Mister_Tad

Fair enough, In the photos they look thicker than the savvios.
    Maybe the way the DL380 G5 packs them in makes them look skinnier

I shall have a peek at a DL380G5, or whatever else I can dig up with 2.5" bays tomorrow to see how the connectors would work :thumb:

17. impar

impar Minimodder

18. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Just a slightly interesting point for the server situation - I've read in one of the reviews somewhere that removing the 'heatsink' voids the warranty. I know my office wouldn't use drives without a manufacturer backing them up... Too much value in a good sized array.

19. Mister_Tad

That's preposterous. Unless they're going to be supplying bare drives to OEMs they really are shooting themselves in the foot.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No reason why that should be the case. The drive runs cooler than a WD Greenpower!