1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Wii Fit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 Apr 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/04/24/wii_fit/1

We've been stuck inside too long reviewing graphics cards and playing games. It's time we went outside for some exercise - or, even better, stayed inside and played another game to simulate that effect using new hardware!

:idea:

2. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Hmm...
    At one point you mention jumping up and down on the Wii-Scales. How sturdy is it and does it feel as though it is about to break?

It would almost be better to get a gym membership once you factor in the cost of the console as well. Not That I can see myself do that though.

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i might get it just for the snowboarding !!! but seriously looks like something my girlfriend will love ( for 2 months)

4. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

you're my hero.

5. Jonagon

Jonagon What's a Dremel?

gym membership = around £50 a month, so console + game = £200? + you have a wii... so not really an issue.

Obiviously, it's a clever game, good use of the hardware, it doesn't appeal to me, but then neither does Railway simulator or whatever it was called that microsoft released, or the Sims which sold 100million copies. And I know plenty of people who would probably be interested in giving it a go.. The problem being, is the novetly going to wear off after a couple of weeks, having just spent £65 or whatever on it.

Though in my view thats a wider problem with the Wii... i've been debating getting one for a few weeks now (a wii that is not wii fit), since I have my pc for "proper" gaming, and i'd like something to do in the living room when there's nothing on tv and I could do some gaming multiplater with the girlfriend. (i've tried to get her into FPS, she's not having it). But same problem again.. I can only see a few games i'd actually play, and I don't know if i'd get bored fairly rapidly (guitar hero, mario kart, etc), so can one justify the expense of buying a console?

/rant over

/back on topic.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The maximum weight given is 23 stone and it feels very sturdy. I had my toddler nephew banging it about and jumping on it as hard as he could without fear and I've jumped on it myself with no trouble. I wouldn't suggest you try to break it, but it'll take some punishment.

7. ZeroX

ZeroX What's a Dremel?

I will buy this as soon as possible, I think it's realy nice, and i could realy need a workout, so why not

8. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Nice review Joe. Strongly agree with your Conclusions, like most Wii games these days longevity is an issue. Would be interesting to see the Balance Board + Wiimote Combo in a small skateboard game of somesort.

IMHO I think you're buying it for the wrong reasons.

9. CardJoe

I think at the end of the day you'd be better served by joining a gym or going jogging than getting Wii Fit if you want to lose weight. It's not that the game itself can't help you, just that the difference in attitudes towards a gym and a video game indicates that you won't make a go of it.

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

at the end of the day I can't imagine a mate giving you encouragement to go that extra mile or extra rep on the wii fit.

hehe...forget casual gamers, we've just entered into a world of casual exercise....

11. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

I can see how this crazy thing might get people fit, but that will only be because this encourages them to START exercising. Obviously that's a good thing, but TBH I think just going for a brisk walk regularly will be more effective!

Jonagon - Gym membership isn't that expensive, and all in you'll be paying £250 for Wii Fit and the console. For a reasonably priced local gym I think you could get 6 months to a year for the same amount of money. I know which one will yield better results!

12. Jonagon

Jonagon What's a Dremel?

The gyms in my area (there are 3) range in price from £40-£55 pm. but maybe thats because I live in London..

But meh.. yeah who cares.. get some exercise instead!

13. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

How well does it work when placed on carpet with a deep pile? Does it need some kind of solid base to rest on?

14. CardJoe

It needs to rest fairly flat I think, so just don't let it wobble too much. I had it on just a standard carpet and it was fine.

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It can help though (diet is also a huge thing). I'm considering getting a Wii and Wii fit, it sounds like an interesting concept. I can only go down the gym once a week for a full workout, having a Wii at home where I could do a quick workout every day sounds like a great idea when I haven't the time for the gym

16. CardJoe

Personally, I think I'll stick with the 5BX plan. It worked for the Canadian Air Force and only takes eleven minutes a day.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Ooo not heard of that, I'll check it out.

18. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

It's a step in the right direction, and I'm sure my GF will pick it up.

19. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

Actually one of the best uses of the Wii peripherals is for unforseen and unrelated activities

since the BT code was broken and opened up to computers, I know at university here the students have found dozens of good things thay can be used for, but the wii fit board is a particular godsend for my human factors class.

put them in a hood and subject them to stimuli and the board gives you the ability to collect solid balance input data from their legs at 1/10 to 1/100 the cost of specialized devices.

20. sunny_man

sunny_man What's a Dremel?

£70 to $90 just says rip-off to me.

Tags: Add Tags