1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 / USB Keyboard on Boot

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Wench, 26 Apr 2008.

1. Wench

Wench BINGOBONGO!

New HD in a new computer:
    I only have USB keyboards, yet they wont let me use them in the boot.

Is there anything I have to do?
    - Install USB drivers - but theres no OS yet, and I cant intsall anything because the keyboard doesnt work (only works on BIOs)
    - Change something in the BIOs to allow USB input?

Im stumped, a google and bit tech searches bring up things like BOOTING FROM A USB FLASH DRIVE.

Mucho thankys

2. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Presuming you can get into the bios, there should be an option in there for usb keyboard support. It had me stumped for a while, even to the extent of stealing (yes) a PS/2 keyboard once when my computer got stuck on the boot options screen.

I will try and get a screenshot of mine for you. It did take me a long time to find though, it was stuck under a really random menu!

edit: I can't get any of the image sites to work here at school, so if you want a picture, pm me an email address

Last edited: 26 Apr 2008
  3. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

usually there is a BIOS option for USB support by OS or by BIOS (what you want).
    Of course, you may need a PS/2 kb to get in there & make the change ...

4. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Also there should be a legacy option for usb in the bios turn that on and you should be able to use it.

5. Wench

Wench BINGOBONGO!

I think I saw that by OS or BIOS one, but after I get out of boot, it then doesnt work in OS.

Very helpful. Im going to have another crack at it now. ty =]