1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Estimate DC voltage on a mux'd 7 seg display

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dwt98, 13 May 2008.

1. dwt98

dwt98 I own a Dremel :-)

I have completed a clock using IV-16 numitron 7 seg display tubes. I was lucky enough to stumble across an MM5314N and a schematic that was for LED 7 seg displays.

The clock is running fine but the numitrons are pretty bright and slightly warm to the touch. The voltage specs for these tubes are 3 - 4 vdc at 28 ma max if I remember correctly.

Using my DVM to measure across the common and one segment on the "hour" tube (because it stays on constant) I am measuring about 2.1 vdc. A friend of mine says that is not a good or true measurement because the display is mux'd. The mux rate is 1K. He says I really need to use an oscillascope to see what vdc is really getting across the displays.

I don't want to over drive the tubes because I want them to last as long as possible.

Is there a way to estimate the dc voltage? Would the true measurement be higher or lower than what I measure with a digital VOM?

The p/s is 12vac recitified and the MM5314N uses the ac 60hz for the time base...but you already know that :)

I measure 16.3vdc from pin 12 on the chip to ground. I think the vdc range for the chip is 11 to 19 vdc.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd be grateful for the input...

Thanks...:geek:

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Can you post the schematic? If there's a resistor in series with the Numitron segments that will give a more accurate figure for the current.

Then there's this idea;

Last edited: 13 May 2008
  3. dwt98

dwt98 I own a Dremel :-)

Thank you cpemma,
    I will see if I can copy the schematic and post it or email it to you. I would be most happy if you could look it over and give me your suggestions.
    Regards