New build - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LZadda, 23 May 2008.

1. LZadda

LZadda What's a Dremel?

hi,

I'm planning on starting a build here soon and I wasn't exactly sure on the system specs.
    I want it to be a gaming pc and I also plan on overclocking it a bit. I want to make sure things are compatible.
    Also I don't want it to be overly expensive if at all possible :rolleyes:

Please help give me suggestions and tell me of the compatibility, any help would be appreciated.

MoBo - ASUS P5K PREMIUM/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - $170

Cpu - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - $220

Psu - Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - $110 <enough wattage?

Gpu - Not really sure... maybe a 512MB Asus 8800GT PCI-E 2.0, Mem 1800MHz, GDDR3, GPU 600MHz, Stream 112, 2x DL DVI-I? -$165

Memory - not sure something DDR2 1066 if I stick with that mother board at least. Should I get one with room to add DDR3's later on? what about: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) - $120

OS - Windows Vista Premium 64 bit? Any problems with compatibility on this especially?
    :confused: - $100

That's about it just want your guys opinions.

Thanks
    -Lzadda

Last edited: 25 May 2008
  2. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

It sounds pretty good to me, make sure to get at least 2GB of Ram though, I personally think DDR3 is not worth the money yet as it is alot more expensive then DDR2. What kind of harddrive are you going to get? I'd probably get 500gig or more if your going to install alot of games on it.

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Looks like a great selection of parts to me. I think you can get the 8800GT cheaper though.

I'd get 4Gb of RAM, especially with a 64-bit OS. You'll need it in the future. :)

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

The P35 chipset is excellent for this kinda system, and 2/4GBs of DDR2 is amazingly cheap (esp. compared with DDR3). I personally would stick with windows XP for a bit if you already have a licence, unless there is something in particular you want from vista. Also, I'd hold off going to a 64-bit OS until it is a bit more mature.
    I tend towards buying the latest generation of graphics cards where possible, and in this case that would would mean buying a 9 series card.
    However, I'm sure that if you put all the parts you listed together you'd still get an excellent PC. It's just a matter of preference.

5. LZadda

LZadda What's a Dremel?

Great thanks guys, I'll get 4 gigs of ram for sure. And I do plan on getting a 500GB harddrive at somepoint but I have a 250 that will last me for now. any more suggestions?

Last edited: 23 May 2008
  6. LZadda

LZadda What's a Dremel?

The PCI express 2.0 x16 inferface will be compatible with the asus P5K premium MoBo won't it?

7. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

the 8800gt will be fine with the mobo, looks a good sellection of parts

8. LZadda

LZadda What's a Dremel?

alright thanks, I've done some researching on the parts so I hope they'll work for me :D