1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sapphire agp 512mb HD 3850 video card

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by 00tonytone, 24 May 2008.

1. 00tonytone

00tonytone What's a Dremel?

Im new here and need some help on this setup
    Intel d865perl ,pen4 2.8 512 L2cache 800fsb cpu, 1 gig ddr400 ram, WD 250gig 16mb sata HD , radeon 9550 256mb agp video card and hercules 400watt PSU I just installed the sapphire agp HD 3850 and counterstrike's gaming performance was the same or a little worse. The PSU is only 1 12volt rail 11A the HD 3850 needs 30amp requirement, I need help on what powersupply to get and can I use PSU that has PCI-E 8 pin connector because the card came with 2 molex connectors to one 8 pin connnector that plugs into video card. I found in newegg this PSU at a reasonalbe price OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V This PSU has 1 X 6+2 PCI-E pin connector Im wondering if i can use that connector without damageing AGP slot or anything else. Im thinking that the PCI-E connector has better amperage then two 12 volt molex on 2rails at 18amps. But i dont know, thats why im asking for help, I have this new card and cant enjoy it untill i get proper PSU.
    Any feedback would be appreciated. thank you.

2. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

ouch! didn't realise you'd get a performance hit due to not enough power.....are you sure thats the issue? I'd of thought you'd get a warning message in windows that card isnt gettin enough power

4. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I have to say I was a bit surprised by the performance hit, I would have expected instability/crashing or something like that for not enough power.
    But...the op wanted PSU recommendations.
    At the moment, that huge block of text is making my eyes hurt! I didn't realise the that 3850 needed an 8 pin PCIe power connector though.

5. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

The card is AGP, not PCI-E! PCI-E (2.0) does supply far more power than AGP. Even my old 1650 Pro AGP needed additional power from the PSU.

I'd get the Corsair VX450 as well. Or maybe even a PSU with more Power, like the HX620, that one could be used in a future upgrade of all components.

6. 00tonytone

Im really hoping its the PSU because I didnt notice any improvement from 9550 256mb card to the HD3850, I know theres only soo much an 8X agp slot can do, but ive read lots of "WOW" reviews from upgrades to this HD 3850 from even better cards than the 9550 im replacing. Im gonna try battlefield 1942 a game a little more demanding then counterstrike when i get a better PSU. but I havent seen any improvement I did take it backout right away when someone online playing counterstrike told me its bad to use that card on a cheap PSU that doesnt meet requirements. Soo maybe im speaking too soon. lol.
    I found a PSU that i like more then the OCZ that i posted link too, its out of stock right now thats why I havent bought any yet, its an Antec modular and it has 3 12 volt rails , a 6+2 PCI-E pin and only 59 dollars, gonna wait about a week to see if newegg has it back in stock, if not i guess im gonna have to go with the OCZ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

7. 00tonytone

AGP with PCI-E(2.0) 8pin

I was thinking of getting a PSU that i can use when I go PCI-E , but for my Intel d865perl anything over 600 would be overkill . Im really looking for a PSU that has 1 6+2 PCI-E to use that to power card instead of the adapter of the 2 molex adapters to 8 pin.
    The card is agp and the older cards have 2 molex connectors on the card, This card has 8 pin connector not 6 im sure of that , the 2 molex adapter the card came with, has 5 black wires and 3 yellow. I dont know why but many sites say 6 pin PCI-E for the agp HD 3850 , I think thats a typo

8. flashmanxxx

flashmanxxx What's a Dremel?