1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the G15 still king?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Genestarwind, 29 May 2008.

1. Genestarwind

Genestarwind What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, it's the end of the month which means very shortly i get my once a month treat on payday.

This month I cheated a little as i bought myself and the wife a couple of sets of the creative fatal1ty headsets and for the price they were well worth it. Cheap comfortable and outstanding quality.

Anyway, I'm finally replacing my old logitech keyboard as its reached the point where i'm having to chisel the enter button with a lump hammer to get it to do anything. Its stood the test of time but it's due for retirement for use with my multimedia rig hooked up to the tv for playing media over the network.

As afr as keyboards go people have always said to me that the logitech G series are top of the pile and ive played with the G11 and the G15 rev1 and they are absolutely superb. This was a while ago though and seeing the new revision 2 of the G15 has made my heart sink a little bit. The LCD screen is smaller and they've ditched the cool analogue wheel for the volume switch and dropped some of the extension keys.

I was wondering what people think?

Is the G15 still reigning champion in the keyboard punch-out world?

Or is it time for a revolution with other brands like razer and saitek starting to get a head of steam?

From what i've seen the G15 still is king but the saitek cyborg is a pretty big contender. Also there's no tight budget on this as a decent keyboard is an investment.

what do you guys think? recommendations for the best keyboard available please!

2. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

The G11 and G15's are still outstanding keyboards, I've had my G11 for 2 years now, and other than getting covered in dust really easilly, it has been perfect.

If I was to buy another keyboard I would buy the latest Razer one, but only to try something new!

3. Genestarwind

i've heard people say the razer tarantula was a waste of money but the lycosa is supposed to be quite decent though it doesn't offer the features of the G15 and it's the same price.

4. kempez

kempez modding again!

The Saitek Eclipse II is an awesome keyboard and is pretty damn cheap to boot

5. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

I've got a saitek Eclipse 2, its a nice keyboard and i use it for gaming alot, however it has attracted alot of dust...As far as i know the G15 is still great.

6. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

I prefer the new G15 to the old one (own both). The keyboard is smaller overall meaning it fits much better on a desk, the screen whilst smaller is much clearer and personally I don't miss the extra G-keys from the old keyboard. The typing action seems improved from the old G15 too.

7. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I have a Razer Lycosa, and I think it's certianly the nicest keyboard to look at. Lets not beat about any bushes here - the G15 is ugly.

Saying that, the Lycosa maybe suffers from form over function. It'd be nice if Razer could get working on a driver that doesn't disable random keys from time to time...

8. Genestarwind

the saitek eclipse is kinda sexy looking but the shape is weird, i wouldnt say the g15 is ugly i think it looks like its sitting on the desk in an "Alirhgt chums, lets do this!" kinda way. Purely on looks razer wins for me everytime. Ever since i bought the diamondback salamander way back when. I'm not really fond of low profile laptop style keys though. They definately improve your performance in games but they just feel weird to me.

9. naokaji

naokaji whatever

the g15 (especially the orginal one) is a very good keyboard, just make sure you have enough room on your desk.
    but then I might be biased since I have never used a non logitech keyboard / mouse in the last few years.

10. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

I've still got my G15 mark 1. It's still going fine and apart from wanting a good clean, the only issue i have is the black has worn off a couple of keys (WASD and left shift). I don't really have any intention of replacing it though, even though the mark 2 version looks tempting.

11. Genestarwind

mate of mine has been abusing his g15 rev1 for more than a year and a half and yeah it can really take the punishment. Ive been weighing up the pro's and cons and i think the sheer size difference would make the rev2 preferable for me.

Anyone got a saitek cyborg? ive heard they rival the g15 but i dont know anyone who has one, i think its because theyre a little bit more expensive. I think they look cool too.

12. Millusdk

Millusdk What's a Dremel?

I have the G15 rev1, and i love it... It is so easy to use, and the backlit buttons are great when you are sitting at 3 in the night playing at some LAN.

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I haven't used Lycosa or original G15, but I've used Razer Tarantula and G15 rev2 for atleast a year each. From my experiences Razer was an overpriced piece of shiny fingerprint plastic and G15 is packed with features and is just about as pl easant to use. Doesn't collect finger prints and thus doesn't seem always so filthy. There's just no reason why I would pay the extra for fancy pants Razer styling...

14. Major

Major Guest

G11 4tw

15. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Optimus Maximus... j/k

I've got a G15 rev2 and love it. It's very nice to use, has a great feel to it.

16. Genestarwind

Last edited: 30 May 2008
  17. die4beast

die4beast online idiot

Ive got the G15 rev 1 and ive put it through hell with punches rage and all night FPS gaming with hours upon hours of chatting in irc with my fingers not aching from overtyping and its still going incredibly strong with no sign of dying on me the rev 2 looks stupid with the orange colours but if u can handle the bulkness of the rev 1 model then get it if u can its reliable and the blue LED's are better end of the day looks wont win games for u reliability will and the G15 offers that with comfort.

18. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Opinions, opinions. I love the orange leds in rev2 and hate equally much the blue ones.

19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I have a Saitek Mk1 gathering dust and a G15 Mk1 plugged in.

20. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I have a ten pound Logitech one from PC World and tbh I love it :D