1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I be able to run

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by thing, 4 Jun 2008.

1. thing

thing What's a Dremel?

Will I be able to run 2 EVGA 9600GT 1gb with a 650watt PSU

I'm also running EVGA Nvidia 780i Mobo, Intel Q6600 Quad Core CPU, 4Gb's of DDR2 Corsair Dominator, 160Gb WD Raptor

2. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

Hell i don't know really i can't find anything on Google about the the power consumption but i would of thought that you might want atleast 750W PSU that system will sure be power hungry. :D

3. PhenomRed

PhenomRed What's a Dremel?

when i get home tonight i'll post the address of some power calculator thing, i don't know how accurate it is cause it says i need 478W and my PSU is 450W and i have no trouble

4. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

5. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

That Asus power supply calculator is broken for me, so I can't comment on its accuracy (most guess high, up to double the actual demands). However, this:
    http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php
    is the most accurate calculator I have come across, and it compares very closely to actual values for many systems I have tested with my kill-a-watt.

According to that, you only need around 275 watts, and I'm inclined to believe it. Obviously you wouldn't want to run this system from a 300-watt power supply, because they really aren't designed to run at 100% for very long. Your 650, though, should have no problems, as long as it's a decent brand (If it's not a decent brand, you shouldn't trust it to run a Celeron with onboard graphics, and should replace it on principle).

6. thing

thing What's a Dremel?

Thanks the one crazybob posted worked I've used the nvidia one before and couldn't find it. Also the Asus one isn't working.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

8. superseagull

superseagull If it aint broke, fix it ;-)

i run that card and similar components to you in my shuttle which im sure is not more than 400w :)

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

The big question is what make of PSU is it? If it is some £10 jobbie then I really wouldn't want to risk it. If it is a decent brand then it will be more than adequate

10. JpBg

JpBg What's a Dremel?

ya im going to agree with cupboard, the power is enough but what is your actual psu? because that really matters

11. staples

staples What's a Dremel?

I have a 620W Corsair PSU and know people that have run SLI 8800gt's on them.
    Buy a quality PSU, costs lots but is worth the outlay.

Many other forums have said the same thing.
    I bought mine for that exact reason, one day soon I will try SLI and I will have a PSU that will do it.
    I have a 8800gt.

12. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

EVGA's website says you need 450W for an SLI setup with those cards.

Generally speaking, Manufactures go over spec with the requirement for several reasons:
    1. Using a Cheap PSU - stated wattages are often peak not sustainable
    2. Using an old PSU - As with a lot of other things, age has a great effect on performance
    3. In an ideal world, you should continuously draw more than 75% of your power supply's max - a quick way to shorten the lifespan of a PSU

In short, Yes.

Tho if the unit you have is old or cheap, consider replacing it. Most stuff made by Seasonic or CWT are pretty good (eg Corsair are made by seasonic, Hiper by CWT) with each OEM having many followers (and inevitable fan boy wars).

If you do replace it, don't go above 700W as you'll be wasting money (price) and electricity (therefore more money, be it your own or someone else's) unless your planning on speanign a whole heap more money on an excessively powerful setup!

13. Cupboard

^^ +1
    And some of the Corsairs are made by CWT too I think.

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

The 750W and the 1,000W are by CWT, the 620W down to the 450W are all Seasonic (but better)

15. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

I also agree with cupboard. If that's a quality PSU, then it should be more than enough power for it. A lot of the cheaper PSU's don't actually put out the power that they report.)

Some good PSU brands i can think of off the top of my head: PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, Antec, and Corsair (though i tend to stick with the first two, I think a lot of gamers use Antec PSU's)

Also, i found a power supply calculator over at Newegg.com.

Edit: I also agree with Golygus, but I have heard of some major issues with a lot of Hiper PSU's. There are always exceptions of course (for example). And also from reading a little bit over at JonnyGURU.com I found out that you might not always have the same manufacturer under the same brand name. So PSU's can vary regardless of brand.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2008
  16. Cupboard

Whilst it may be an exception, my 580W hiper PSU has been going strong for 18 months now. Very quite lovely little thing.

17. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

My old Hiper type R ran for 4 years, used and abused, never a hint of trouble, then decided enough was enough and just turned off one day, never to turn back on again.

The corsair unit I have now (HX620) is brilliant (seasonic), and has a 5year G'tee to boot (I'd have been happy with 3, but hell!)!!!

If i remember and am still using it, I'll let you know how long it goes for!

18. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

See thats the problem with only hearing of stuff. You never know if what you're hearing is from someone who knows the difference between their hard drive and monitor.. or if they really do know their stuff. I've never actually touched a Hiper PSU (to my knowledge). Perhaps I'll give them a try, I just know the ratings on newegg.com are pretty low for that brand (other than some of their high end psu's).