1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Refusing to Install

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ryu_ookami, 7 Jun 2008.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I'm trying to install an O/S on a PC however I keep getting the error I have posted below:

The error says

Stop : 0x0000007B (0xF78DE524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000 0x00000000)

It also says to remove any hard drive and hard drives controllers and to run chkdsk /f

I've tried re-moving the drive and running chkdsk /r and also chkdsk /f which all show the drive as being fine but I've tried this several times now with no joy. I even tried using different xp disks but nothing

I've also hooked the drive up to my laptop using an external hdd case and formatted it again about the only thing I haven't tried is using hirens to run the manufacturers diagnostics on the drive.

I've also just removed the Partition and created a new partition and reformatted it again before trying to install to the drive again.

does any one know what could be causing this and more importantly how to fix it.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2008
  2. koola

koola Minimodder

Some more info would be useful for instance:

1. At what stage in the install does the error occur?
    2. What type of interface (SATA/PATA) does the HDD have?
    3. Tried using a different cable?

3. Ryu_ookami

1. it copies the files it needs for setup then before it takes you to the section to choose where to install xp to it blue screens.

2. its an IDE drive

3. nope but I'll try that next.

4. Alex6969

Alex6969 If it's fixed, I can break it.

XP disc scratched?

5. koola

koola Minimodder

Could be the RAM. Check they are seated ok if the cable doesn't work.

6. Ryu_ookami

well its copying now so I'll know in a bit :)

7. Ryu_ookami

ok its done it again, it gets to the part of the install where it says "setup is starting windows" then it blue screens.

I've tried a new cable, I've tried re-seating the ram, I've tried different operating system install disks, I've tried re-formatting the drive and I've also tried re-partationing the drive and then re-formatting There's nothing wrong with the hard drive itself as it works fine when connected to my laptop

There has to be something causing it but I'll be dammed if I know what it is.

the only thing I can think of trying now is another dvd drive another cable for the dvd drive. Removing all the removable drives thats about all I can think of but I have no idea why the dvd drive/removable drives would stop the O/s installing.

and possibly clearing the cmos I've tried everything else unless someone else has any more ideas.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2008
  8. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Tried only using one stick of RAM (i.e. the RAM might be bad).

9. Alex6969

Alex6969 If it's fixed, I can break it.

hopefully mother board isn't FUBARed. Try what oasked suggested. Have you tried linux yet?

10. Ryu_ookami

its ok I've given up for tonight so I'll post again in the morning with a full list of what I've done up until that point.

11. Ryu_ookami

Ok so far I've tried

1. A different motherboard and got the same error.

2. I've checked the Hard drive in a different computer and got no error at all on the hard drive.

3. I've reseated the Ram - still got the same error

4. Tried different IDE cables - still got the same error

5. Removed all the drives except one that I know was working and the DVD drive - got same error

6. Tried different operating system disks - got same error

the only thing that I can see thats is the same each time is the dvd drive and the ram but I can not see HOW the DVD drive or the Ram would cause a problem with the Hard drive controllers.

but anyway next stop is trying a cd-rom rather than the dvd drive that is in there now then I'll change the memory if that doesn't work any other ideas would be appreciated

12. koola

koola Minimodder

The installer uses the RAM, so can screw it up if your RAM is bad. Swap as suggested above.

[Edit] Also remove all expansion cards and HDDs except for the core components.

13. Ryu_ookami

ok I'll remove the ram first :)

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

IIRC, there may be an option in the BIOS to specify the OS type, check that though, but I remember windows 2000 ran on it perfectly

15. Ryu_ookami

LOL wrong computer DougEdey this is one I'm putting together the one you're talking about is currently sat in ipswich service center at the moment awaiting delivery according to the tracking number :)

I've removed one of the sticks of ram and got the same error so I'm trying it with the other stick now but hopefully it's the dvd drive and not the ram

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Ahhhhhhhh, was kind of panicing a bit :p

Check with a livecd and memtest the RAM

17. Ryu_ookami

ok got the same error with just one stick of ram in so I swapped the ram out and got the same error again the only thing left to swop is the dvd drive but I c an not see why the dvd drive would give a hard drive controller error. I'm going to open up a txt document and post the error msg in its entirety maybe that will help.

ok here is the entire error msg

any ideas guys because I'm rapidly running out of things to try. All I'm trying to do is get it to run as a media center in the sitting room for watching anime.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2008
  18. superseagull

superseagull If it aint broke, fix it ;-)

looks like the hdd lies and is fubar - try a new hdd and see how u get on :thumb:

19. Waynos_Face

Waynos_Face What's a Dremel?

Just say a quick hello to all as i have just joined your community.

The problems you are describing sounds like either a bad boot sector on the HDD or the device driver is corrupted on the HDD, can you swop the HDD into another PC and run Check Disk?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Hope this helps

20. Ryu_ookami

I've already connected the HDD to Another PC and it checked out fine I've replaced the DVD-Drive and that seems to be doing the trick so far.

Tags: